Odd turn signal behavior

It's an 84' A1 Jetta gas. OK. An odd problem began(or at least I only noticed until) tonight. My left turn signal works fine all the time. But my right will work correctly UNTIL I push on the brake. The harder I push on the brake the slower it will blink. If I press on the brake completely, like at a complete stop, it will stop blinking all together.

I will go through the whole diagnosis tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone had a similar prob. and/or could hint me on a place to start.

Thank you, Jerritt

Reply to
Jerritt

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

I am making a follow-up in case anybody in the future has a similar problem. In my case it was where the plug to the right headlamp connects to. It was corroded a bit. I used a piece of sand-paper and dressed it up.

HTH Jerritt

Jerritt wrote:

Reply to
Jerritt

I agree...bad ground.

What happens is all the bulbs are grounded to one point (probably a ring terminal on the inside of the trunk) and if that came loose (not attached to car) the signal bulb is trying ground through the other bulbs. Step on the brake where you're trying to illuminate the brake and signal bulbs simultaneously and all hell breaks loose. I'll bet you you got quite a light show going on back there too with multiple bulbs flashing and whatnot.

Reply to
Matt B.