Offset ball joint

Took the 01 GC, with 90,000 miles, to a local garage for an alignment and there was a small problem correcting the camber reading. The mechanic recommended that I eventually might want to consider install an offset ball joint permitting a more correct adjustment of the camber.

The quote I got was $500 for the job.

Anyone here have experience with the offset ball joint or had one installed?

Larry

Reply to
Larry

alignment

install

Looked at it. I thought there was a TSB on that as well. For the most part, it's a Jeep, a few /16 one way or the other isn't gonna make it a Ferrari. :)

Double check the dealership and build book to make sure the spec is correct, i had an issue with th 93 where the spec from the alignment shop was not the same as the recommended.

Reply to
DougW

Here are specs they gave me in the form of a colored chart with the before and after. The bottom specs are the after.

LF

camber -02 degrees caster 5.9 degrees toe .10 degrees

RF

camber -0.8 degrees caster 5.9 degrees toe 0.09 degrees

At 90,000 I am 10,000 into my third set of tires. Guess I can wait and see how these tires hold up but I already have a little visibly excessive wear on the RF tire when the tire had only had 5,000 miles on it. I moved that one to the rear.

as you can see the "problem" is with the RF camber. Does that look like a problem?

Reply to
Larry

alignment

Sure that's not a bad balljoint? Those numbers sure don't look right.

Reply to
DougW

I thought he was suggesting replacing the ball joint but with an offset ball joint rather than a standard jeep ball joint.

He wrote a note on the spec print out:

"May need offset ball joint to fix camber on right front. But vehicle is pulling right so did not want to increase camber on RF. Will make pull worse."

Reply to
Larry