Tow/Haul button

Exactly what does it do, and how will it affect my already poor mileage when towing a trailer?

Reply to
JKConey

It locks you out of overdrive to prevent overstressing the transmission.

Reply to
Dougw

In laymens terms, can I still drive 55mph, and how will it affect my handling and mpg?

Reply to
JKConey

Handling? No impact.

MPG? It will drop substantially, as noise and wear on drive-line (engine mostly) will increase.

Reply to
PeterD

In layman's terms..... "maybe" on the 55 and handling. And "definitley" on the mpg. It all "depends" on your trailer's size, overall weight, tongue weight, and wind resistance. The larger and heavier your trailer, the more mph, mpg, and handling will be negatively affected. If "fish tailing" (sorry for the technical term) becomes a problem, then increasing tongue weight can help (by shifting load weight forward or moving the axles(s) backward) but don't put so much tongue weight on the hitch that it lifts your front tires off the ground (thereby affecting handling). Also, you may want to test your "backing up" skills if you've never backed a trailer before. Good luck :-) HeBeJeepN '99 XJ Sport, Selec-Trac, Trac-Lok

Reply to
HeBeJeepN

Your gas mileage will probably be better than if you tried to tow in OD plus you'll not cause as much heat build up in the trans which is more detrimental that running without OD.

Before there were OD transmissions, there were manuals and automatics that didn't have OD that held up for hundreds of thousands of miles in car, truck and towing situations ... most didn't even have a lock-up converter.

Generally, all you needed was a bigger trans cooler, which I recommend anyway on all automatics.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

snipped-for-privacy@NoSpm.invalid wrote in news:fpcg681fisa4p6d3165guj90acm59nef4o@

4ax.com:

I'd recommend he go slowly and carefully when backing up with a trailer, even a small one.

FragSinatra