Oil Detergents

I went a little ways over my usual mileage limit for my oil change. Before I used synthetics in my Jeep I used to dump in a can of one of those oil detergents right before I drained in order to clean out the crud. Can these be useful if I'm using synthetic oil? I'd think not, but it seemed at the last couple of changes that I wasn't draining anywhere near the 4 quarts I should have been, even though checking the oil level beforehand showed everything normal. Makes me wonder what I got in there.

Thanks,

TC

Reply to
Tupac Chopra

Hi TC. With a better performing synthetic oil, the engine will not need or benefit from any pour in additives. In fact, these can cause harm.

Synthetic oils cling to metal engine parts much better than dead dinosaur oils do, so you may need to allow the oil to drain longer when performing an oil change.

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Bill, with the lower performing "synthetics", you are 100% correct. Castrol is doing this and Mobil sued Castrol when Castrol tried to redefine what a, "synthetic", oil is. Unfortunately, Mobil did not prevail. :-(

The better performing synthetic oils on the market truly are a synthetic oil and are made from a PAO base or diesters, or a blend of the two. Hydrocracked petroleum oils are not in this category and don't offer the performance benefits of a PAO or diester based synthetic oil.

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

They are better than regular dead dinosaur oil yes, but I have not seen any of them be able to withstand the rigors of extended drain intervals, as a properly formulated PAO or diester synthetic is capable of.

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Synthetic oil is made in a laboratory using man made materials. It is devoid of any of the naturally occurring contaminants present in petroleum oils. Petroleum oil is naturally occuring and comes from the ground, with all the inherent contaminants and resulting drawbacks from those contaminants.

Thank you.

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

You are 'legally' incorrect using that as a definition.

Mike

SnThetcOil wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well Mike, any time the term, "synthetic", is used to refer to anything, it has historically meant that the item being referred to is man-made, i.e. isn't found in nature in that state but instead is made by man.

Take care.

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

SnThetcOil proclaimed:

"Man" didn't make those materials, they were extracted from petroleum stock with whatever degree of freedom from contaminants was deemed appropriate for the process.

Extracted fractions of crude oil can be as pure or free from "contaminants" as desired. Or necessary for the purpose.

As opposed to the raw materials used to make "synthetic" oils which come purely from the same petroleum base... Unless you can offer examples of some made from polymerized plant materials or extracted from sources such as jojoba.

Reply to
Lon

You are attempting to confuse a holder of *THE TRVTH* [TM] with facts--someone totally devoid of the concept of such.

Mike Romain proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

SnThetcOil proclaimed:

Which is not a legal definition by any stretch of the wildest hype. Nor have you been able or willing to share any source for the raw materials for synthetic engine oil that is anything other than crude.

Reply to
Lon

I'd be interested in where I can find some Castrol GT 10-40W in a "natural" state. Doggoned Kragen raised the price again.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to