new jeep any suggestions?

Started looking for my next jeep tonight. Will trade in my 91yj 4cyl, 5 speed, soft top. Thinking of an automatic, with a/c soft top, wrangler.... dare i say the word..... How does the 4 cyl preform or should I get the 6 cyl? And can you take the top completely off the new models like I do on my 91? How do the new 4 wheel drives work?

Any suggestions to help me be a happy jeeper???????? And what is the rubicon???? is it worth the extra money?

thanks

David

Reply to
DAVID DRUM

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I've only had the 6 cyl TJs, and I will say that I'll always have at least a

6 cyl one. The 4 cyl does ok, but from what I've heard it's a bit underpowered on the freeway and gets under powered quickly if you start adding larger tires. Not much difference in gas mileage between the two either so the main difference is in the initial cost. Now... you say you have a YJ w/ a 4 cyl. If you're happy with that, you may be fine w/ a newer one as well.

You can take the top completely off (both soft & hard)... not sure how easy it is compared to a YJ since I've never had one, but on the TJs it's a piece of cake.

4WD works well. On the Wrangler it's still "part-time" meaning you need to be on a surface w/ poor traction to turn it on. If you run in 4WD on dry pavement, it's not too good for it.

The Rubicon is a TJ with many "upgrades" that offroaders frequently do aftermarket. In particular it has selectable lockers front & rear so it's darn near impossible to stop.

wrangler....

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

He might be in Saskatchewan Canada - you can watch your dog run away for three days.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
twaldron

i agree totally. not enough power with the 4 cyl. john

Reply to
johnny

Thanks for all who responded. I am trying to get a 2004 with the Columbia Edition package, 6 with ac and auto if he comes through.

david

wrangler....

Reply to
DAVID DRUM

heard the recommendations. Is the mileage REALLY similar? any 4 cyl owners to attest to this? and what if i've driven a 4 cyl piece of garbage all along. u think it will really bother me? Gene---another soon to be wrangler owner

Reply to
Eugene