oil pressure gauge....I GIVE UP!

Hi

Ok. I replace the oil sender. (The gauge was occasionally showing some random wandering....40.....30.....25.....35....lbs at 2000 rpm...highway speeds. And then sometimes stay steady around 40 or so.... ) So I replace the sending unit, $75, and all seems well for a while. Now this afternoon, its doing it again. Actually went all the way to zero at a stop light, and then a little later...seems ok again. I'm ready to take some black tape, and cover the gauge up so I can never see it again! My question is....should I be checking some ground straps or something? Is there a ground strap for the cluster I need to find? This is a '97 wrangler. If I hook up a manual gauge to replace the stock one, how do I keep the 'idiot light' ('Check Gauges') from coming on (and the accompanying alarm that goes along with it?) HELP!

cal

Reply to
Cal

The drifting that you first reported seems to be pretty normal, and you shouldn't have gone through the effort(s).

Time out.

Is the check light really coming on and a buzzer sounding?

accompanying

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The "check gauges" light and a short tone sounded when the oil pressure quickly dropped to zero. (at idle, it was staying around 20, then dropped quickly to zero as if the engine had shut off or someone had unplugged the sender.) I have checked the connection, and will do it again in the daylight. Also, it wasn't the check engine light. thanks for the reply!

cal

Reply to
Cal

There is a ground tag on the side of the engine at the rear passenger side. A bolt with a bunch of black wires.

How is the engine to body ground strap?

Mike

Cal wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

thanks Mike

I will check that. Unfortunately, I have to work all weekend, but will check as soon as possible and hopefully find something...

cal

Reply to
Cal

You didn't mention what year or vehicle you have. I have a 89 wrangler YJ and went through all kinds of grief with my gauges. I have recently removed them all, sanded and cleaned all contacts on the gauges and the printed circuit board. Smeared a light coat of dielectric grease on them and reassembled. I also added about 12" of wire to the wiring harness to aid in pulling the gauges out to a comfortable level while working on them and leaving them plugged in to troubleshoot.. Mine all seem to be working ok now, but I get the oil pressure bounce you described. Hasn't dropped to zero since I cleaned all electrical points. If mine act up again, I'm going to get rid of the circuit board and run a wire straight to each gauge. Also, I'm planning on adding another set of gauges for temp, oil, amp and possibly transmission temp. That way, I hope to have some reliability. I just don't trust those stock gauges. Last but not least, I removed the clock (who needs it?) and replaced it in that space with a vacuum gauge...LUV IT! Good Luck!! Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

thanks!

I thought about removing the instrument cluster and checking the connections. I have noticed some rust on some of the parts under the dash, which may be somewhat normal for a soft-top i guess. I'm sure this could affect these connections. If I can find a schematic of the harness/plugs, maybe I can concentrate on looking at those particular connections for some corrosion. Oh, it is a 97 wrangler. I had service done on it in the past, related to the dash, some lights, etc not working. I think the old fix for this was to slightly bend the male part of the connectors on the cluster that connect to the harness. Thanks! I will try to check this out..

cal

Reply to
Cal

yeah, I tried bending mine too...not much help. Found the connection VERY finnicky. I find that alot of moisture (RUST) likes to be under mine when open top or soft top, and I don't think those guages like it very much....That's why I did what I did, especially the dielectric grease.... I'm going for the extra set of guages to keep my sanity.....

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com