OK, I give up, where is it?

I have a '80 CJ5, with a 258. Long ago I put in a Borg-Warner temp gauge which has performed fine. I took it to get it smogged a couple weeks ago, and suddenly the gauge doesn't work. OK, could be coincidence, but I figure someone knocked a wire loose while they were messing with it (it needed work, naturally). OK, The problem is... I'm off to a great start. Is it on the back of the head on the drivers' side (toward the firewall from the carburetor)? There's something there with what appears to be a ground wire. It's the only purpose I can assign to it, I don't know what else it would be doing.

If this it, is there any way of checking to see if it's gone out (assuming everything is connected) before I go plunk down another $100 for a gauge? And yeah, I know I could tear it all apart and trace everything from the gauge forward, but I wanted to check the connections first. Now I can't even figure out where the are, and this is the place that always seems to bail me out!

Of course, looking in my Chilton's, it doesn't even have a listing in the directory for the temperature sensor, gauge, or anything like that.

Reply to
bizbee

It should be a purple wire on that pin at the back top you are talking about. Grounding the wire should get you full hot on the gauge.

Here is a good site on testing the gauges:

Mike

bizbee wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:26:23 -0500 in , Mike Romain graced the world with this thought:

Sweet! Thanks!

Reply to
bizbee

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:01:02 -0800 in , L.W.(ßill) Hughes III graced the world with this thought:

You'd think, wouldn't ya? The front of my engine looks different than yours, or seems to, at any rate. Too hard to park it in here and take a look. If I could see the valve I'm talking about in your pic, it would go in vertically (in the head), on the side this pic was taken from, right behind the valve cover, with a wire attached to the top. It's not terribly big. Now, the real bitch here is that I put the damn thing in about 10 years ago myself. Duh. I think I'm getting old faster than I'd planned.

Reply to
bizbee

OK, another question concerning this thing... if the sender is AFU, and I know this is kind of a vague question, will the standard Jeep sending unit replacement be the one to replace it with, or am I going to have to track down one to go with the gauge? I guess what I'm saying here is, is there a standard that companies generally follow?

I could ask at the parts place, I suppose, but I figure people in this newsgroup are more intelligent, for the most part, than the part time guy that isn't even as old as the vehicle I'm working on.

Reply to
bizbee

Geeze, a whole new gauge kit is what? Like maybe $20? I'd just replace the whole thing.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 04:22:57 -0600 in , Old Crow graced the world with this thought:

Last time I bought this particular gauge, it was $95, I had to wait two weeks for it to come in and drive thirty miles to pick it up. And it didn't have a sensor with it--that's why I was wondering.

no, it wasn't $20.

Reply to
bizbee

Yeah, you're right...it wan't $20, but it looks like you could get new, factory looking replacements and sending units for less than that here:

$69.95 for the temp *and* fuel gauges and $5.95 for the temp sender.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:54:14 -0600 in , Old Crow graced the world with this thought:

They're not factory. Read the first sentence of my post. I don't want a temp and fuel gauge. I don't even want a temp gauge. I want the gauge I have to work, and want to know if sending units, besides the point where they make connection to the engine, are universal.

Reply to
bizbee

bizbee wrote: I want the

No, they are set up for each individual vehicle with different resistance readings.

Mike

Mike Romain

OK, I wasn't aware that the Borg-Warner was the factory gauge. From the way your post was written, I thought it was just an aftermarket replacement. It seems to me that in the case of an aftermarket gauge, it would be less problem to replace with a whole set than to find the correct sender for the gauge. If you'd looked at the link, you'd see that these gauges were replacements for the factory gauges. It would follow, since they are sold without sender, that they would work with the factory senders. Assuming this(not *that* big of an assumtion, really)the sender listed at the bottom of the page would work in place of the factory sender. At only $5.95 for the sender, it's fairly cheap to find out.

Oh, and if your replacement gauge was a factory replacement, why not go to O'Reilly's or NAPA and order the factory sender?

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:24:55 -0500 in , Mike Romain graced the world with this thought:

Thanks, that's what I was after, more or less... but I guess my point is, allowing that the sending unit is working properly, and is the CJ sending unit, could I hook any temp gauge up to it and have it work, or does it have to be matched to the sending unit too? The sending unit I have was in place, when I replaced the aftermarket B-W gauge that was in it when I bought it (but blown), so I just bought a new, identical gauge, and hooked it up. So, what I'm curious about is, can I just buy the stock sending unit for the CJ5, and hook the B-W gauge up to it...?

Reply to
bizbee

Here is a site on the readings:

The stock temp and fuel gauges are 5 volt gauges....

You 'can' wire in 12 volt ones....

I also believe the gauges are tuned to the sender resistance readings so they too have to match each other.

Mike

Mike Romain

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:50:56 -0500 in , Mike Romain graced the world with this thought:

Thanks, this is definitely a 12V, since it's wired directly to the battery on the hot side. Well, it's my weekend, so, armed with some of this knowledge I'll bust out the ol' multimeter and see if I can get to the bottom of this thing.

Reply to
bizbee