OME shocks and Bar pins

2 Months, 2 bar pin clips and I'm ready to kill. What all does everybody with these shocks do about the clips failing? I'm considering getting the clips put back on and welding some kind of stop to the bar or a stack of washers or something...

Anybody else have this problem?

Thanx

Reply to
Warren Quin

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You are telling us you have the wrong shocks in there.

Shocks should 'never' pin out either on the up or down movement. If they do, the bump stops are too short or the shock travel is too short.

Either way just be thankful it is only snapping the bar pins, not breaking off chunks of frame or the whole shock mount like it 'can' do.

You really need to get the right size parts in there.

Mike

Warren Qu>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
twaldron

Sorry about that. My signature seems to have disappeared.. And I was a little ticked...

2000 TJ. 2 inch OME HD springs. Probably 2.5 inches of total lift. Maybe 3 in the back when I have the Hardtop, doors and rear seat out. I used the HD because I have a hitch front and rear to accomodate a homemade rack for a canoe, with bike rack and drawbar extension for my Iltsis trailer. Makes the back kind of heavy when loaded. It sits nice and level when under load.

No serious offroading anymore. Daily driver off to the camp etc. These appear to pop off under daily street driving.

Rear OME shocks. Either N66 or N67 (don't remember which shock was front or back). They use a clip to center the shock on a bar that bolts to the frame. I assume that factory shocks did as well but they never broke loose (repeatedly). Since yesterday I've discovered that there are bar pin eliminators to aliviate this but that they don't work with the OME shocks without changing the bushings. Far as I can see expensive shocks, crap for a design.

I guess I will have to weld some kind of sleeve or stop to the bars to support the clips.

If anybody knows a better way...

Tahnx

Reply to
Warren Quin

Hi Warren,

Your circle clips were not installed properly. When you install the clip you have to be certain that it is fully seated in the groove before releasing lateral compression on the washer and bushing. This can be tricky. Also, when compressing the bushing to fit the clip, make sure the clip is not inadvertently bent. A bent clip may not seat properly. An insufficiently seated clip will eventually pop out of the groove.

Do your best to get your circle clip back on correctly. If you still don't trust it, tack-weld the washer to the pin.

My XJ has 20,000 km on OME shocks. Daily driver and lots of abusive trail riding. No problems with the retaining clips or the bar pins in general.

Steve

Warren Qu> 2 Months, 2 bar pin clips and I'm ready to kill. What all does everybody

Reply to
Steve

Your 'probably' and 'maybe' means you have the wrong shocks in there.

If you can cause the shocks to impact on the bar pin in any way, you have the wrong shocks for your lift combination.

Mike

Warren Qu>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi Mike,

He has the right shocks. His bar pins are fine. It's the little circle clip retainer that keeps the shock centred on the bar pin that is popping out on him. Common problem on OME shocks due to improper installation of the clip.

Steve

Mike Roma> Your 'probably' and 'maybe' means you have the wrong shocks in there. >

Reply to
Steve

Ahh, I looked at the pdf.

So just movement can pop them? Once a circlip is in, it should stay there. If it doesn't then something is impacting it likely.

When I drop a clip in place, I always make sure it can move in it's slot slightly so I know it's seated. They also look funny or oval when not seated.

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Clips are on right. First thing I assumed the first time it happened. When it happened again yesterday, I looked around in the newsgroups etc. (after railing in several directions) and there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it. Happens to some and not others. I'm assuming its caused by the lateral motion of the taller coils in combination with vehicle weight. It didn't happen until I got all the winter gear off. Doors, top, etc. Or maybe some clips work better then others. My fronts have never popped off and the passenger rear only once.

I got a guy in town to dummy up some blocks and pins. for the side that flopping around now and see how that works. If its OK I'll do the other side as well. Way cheaper then the 80$ (CAN) and 4 weeks the local supplier quoted for JKS.

Thanx for the input...

Reply to
Warren Quin

I still think you have the wrong shocks for your 'maybe'.

You are bottoming them out and blowing off the clips.

If you block them solid, you will break the next weakest part in the line. That could be the shock tower or the pin on the axle tube.

Mike

Warren Qu>

Reply to
Mike Romain