Windscreen Frame Removal

I'm pulling the front of my 90 to bits to get the top corners of the bulkhead welded with a pair of those ready made patches.

I've managed to get the wings off - thanks for the earlier advice about getting the spats off the wheel arches, I ended up drilling most of the plastic tabs out as they are impossible to reach the back of to push out the middle bit....

I also removed the second door tonight - yipee after having to drill out the lower bolts when the captive nuts became less captive and started to turn! Where's the best place to get replacement for these - bolts, nuts and clips? Thanks again for the advice on this, ended up buying No4 PZ bits, 3/8" bit holder and 3/8" to 1/2" converter to fit my impact driver then a breaker bar to unscrew them. Phew.

Last step is to remove the windscreen and frame. Looking at it there are a couple of hinges which would appear to allow the windscreen to fold down onto the bonnet. There's no way you could do this with a hard top by the looks of things, presumably it's for soft tops to let the air flow through when you are in the desert or plains of Africa? In fact I don't recall ever seeing a windscreen folded down in real life ever, why do they fit these brackets as standard???

THE QUESTION: Anyway, enough wittering, I just need to check what I need to do to get the windscreen frame out. Is it simply remove the bolts and pull it out? Can I replace the rubber strips along the bottom and top of the frame?

Regarding the welding, I'm getting a pro to do this bit, any ideas on how much it might cost? Welding only, no dismantling necessary!

Thanks again, David

1988 'F' 90 HardTop - It really is meccano, only bigger and a bit rusty!
Reply to
Plus.net Newsgroups

You've got a row of bolts along the top as well, behind the trim, if any. Other than that, yes, just unbolt it, either from the windscreen or the bulkhead, although I suggest the bulkhead seeing thats what you will be repairing. Windscreen is occasionally folded on soft tops to reduce headroom needed. I think late model hard tops have the hinges replaced by fixed brackets. JD

Reply to
JD

In message , JD writes

The sealant that runs between the hard top and windscreen frame is very strong so it may not be that simple.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Sealant - tell me more...

When it comes to putting the thing back together, what kind of sealant do I need, where do I get it and any tips on applying it?

Thanks again,

David

Reply to
David Watson

On my series 2 i have a simple rubber strip along the top of the windscreen. I cant see why you couldnt use one of these strips on a

  1. Mine came slightly longer than it needed to be anyway (looks like it was cut off a roll too)

This was easier to fit than the silicone sealant i did it with when i first put a roof on and worked better!

Reply to
Tom Woods

sealant do I

Marc is right about the sealant, it can be a bu**er to get off the screen frame. A Stanley knife blade used as a scraper will do the job at the expense of some paint. I've rebuilt 2 90 hardtops now, both using self-adhesive foam strip on top of the screen frame instead of sealant, and neither leak. Get closed-cell foam so it doesn't act like a sponge.

Gordon.

Reply to
gbubb