best car you've ever owned and not owned

well thought this might be interesting.

Mine would have to be 2l 16v Nova just for the sheer sleeper value and performance to pounds value 170 bhp in a car weighing 850 kilos built for

1500 quid

Ones that i never had(yet)

would love a 205 Mi16 same as the nova equivilant power to weight ratio just not as rusty and better handling out of the box (especially in converted format(read the mi16 is not a lump of lead over the front wheels like the XE)

E30 335 another one i'd love to build especially with 4 doors although more likely to be done using a E36 now

Reply to
Rob

Fastest car I ever owned was the GTR Skyline. But the best is probably my current WRX wagon. Plenty fast, handles like it is on rails, cheap on juice when not being thrashed and with the back seats folded down it carrys shitloads.

Ones I have never owned but driven would probably be the Lotus Elise for pure go-kart fun or the Liberty(Legacy) B4 turbo sedan for comfort and speed.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Well the best car I've owned is the MR2 I suppose for its spot on handling and wicked lil engine!

I'd love to get a mk1 MR2 t-bar in good nick for pottering around in but I guess that's not that exciting as I've already got a coupe in bad nick that I potter around in. I've got plenty more cars I'd like to own/build before getting bogged down by responsibilities, ranging from a Volvo 360 Turbo to a SD1 V8 to a BX 16v. PLenty of time left yet though!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Best car...Capri 2.8i Special. On my third now. Had several Rover SD1 V8's but they suffered from rot and I gave up on them after one I had with a Fast Road cam in got pissed on by a Fiat Uno Turbo IE.

Reply to
Conor

current would be my MR2 turbo for power and speed with pretty good comfort and then my old MK1 MR2 for spot on handling but i tad too hardcore for everyday for my liking. would LOVE a corvette Z06 just for the noise and them rear lights in black! one day i will!!!

Reply to
Vamp

My Saab. Wish I had spent the necessary on fixing it, instead of getting the Celica.

What i haven't owned yet? Will find out in a couple of weeks/months I hope.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar
[...]

Wot's the Sleeker done to piss you off? You've been very out of love with it recently.

Alistair J Murray

My current ALPINA is by far the most capable car I've ever owned in every way apart from load capacity.

The most fun however would need to be the TVR Vixen S1 with ~100bhp and skinny tyres.

I loved the family transaxle Alfas which I got to drive.

There are several cars that I've made some move towards buying, but didn't, that I still have "what if" moments about:

An ALPINA B12 which seems to be on sale again 8/

A 1970(iirc) 351 Mustang fastback, red with metallic blue interior(!)

A Ginetta G15 in orange.

Hmmmmm...

Alistair J Murray

i love the ALPINA BMW's i'd love one! but the running costs scare the s**te outta me :)

Reply to
Vamp

1/2 litre oil a week, definatley a leak, can't find out where the=20 bugger it is though. Got worse since I swapped the rocker gasket and=20 cleaned out the PCV which I thought was the cause. used to use about 1/4=20 litre every 2-3 weeks. Thats roughly two gallons of oil I'll be adding=20 between 3k oil changes. The sump only takes 3/4 of a gallon. It is=20 getting several oil changes.

Probably one wheel bearing on the way out (passenger rear). New Poly trailing arm bushes squeak, and something else on the drivers=20 side rear is creaking. It has already had new shocks, springs, stut tops, drop links, diff=20 carrier plate, and diff mount bushes. And still it isn't smooth. It=20 clnks bangs, groans and clangs all over the shop.

Oh and the braided hoses that cost me =A380 to buy+vat+delivery are the=20 right ones, but are a right pigs ear abortion and must be the worst=20 product that Fensport sell, and it is something they put their own name=20 to.

The caliper end banjos don't have the safety pin at the caliper end. The=20 mid pipe clips can't be used because while it has a place for the clip=20 to go, it doesn't fit. And the same goes where it joins the hard pipe.

I've had to have one of the fitted by my mechanic, but he didn't like=20 doing it, but did and cable tied everything, until I can get to Andrew=20 page and get a Blueprint one. the rest of the set is sitting in a bag=20 waiting until I can get intouch with Fensport.

Then there is the snapped exhaust manifold stud that chirps and squeaks=20 while the engine is cold, and is taking longer to quieten.

I've just about had enough. Time to find a mug. I've just spent this=20 afternoon cleaning the inside. Tonight when it cools off, I'm going to=20 wash and polish is, then wax it, before getting seriously leathered.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

1/2 litre oil a week, definatley a leak, can't find out where the bugger it is though. Got worse since I swapped the rocker gasket and cleaned out the PCV which I thought was the cause. used to use about 1/4 litre every 2-3 weeks. Thats roughly two gallons of oil I'll be adding between 3k oil changes. The sump only takes 3/4 of a gallon. It is getting several oil changes.

Probably one wheel bearing on the way out (passenger rear). New Poly trailing arm bushes squeak, and something else on the drivers side rear is creaking. It has already had new shocks, springs, stut tops, drop links, diff carrier plate, and diff mount bushes. And still it isn't smooth. It clnks bangs, groans and clangs all over the shop.

Oh and the braided hoses that cost me £80 to buy+vat+delivery are the right ones, but are a right pigs ear abortion and must be the worst product that Fensport sell, and it is something they put their own name to.

The caliper end banjos don't have the safety pin at the caliper end. The mid pipe clips can't be used because while it has a place for the clip to go, it doesn't fit. And the same goes where it joins the hard pipe.

I've had to have one of the fitted by my mechanic, but he didn't like doing it, but did and cable tied everything, until I can get to Andrew page and get a Blueprint one. the rest of the set is sitting in a bag waiting until I can get intouch with Fensport.

Then there is the snapped exhaust manifold stud that chirps and squeaks while the engine is cold, and is taking longer to quieten.

I've just about had enough. Time to find a mug. I've just spent this afternoon cleaning the inside. Tonight when it cools off, I'm going to wash and polish is, then wax it, before getting seriously leathered.

Reply to
Vamp

Lol, no need to do oil changes, just keep topping it off...

Reply to
??? Abo ???

Hard to say "best" but Owned (most fun): Polo G40 1.3L of supercharged pocket rocket.

Would like to own: Mk6 Polo (lupo light shape) after Dahlbäck has finished with it. The interior is a bit minimalist but I think I can live with it.

Depresion

that's very OTT on the carbon but it's cool, gets my thumbs up anyway :)

Reply to
Vamp

I don't like that though.

I have been told by someone with a clue that the millers 10w60 CFS triple ester Full syntetic may be too thick, and forcing the pressure up, and forcing it out every which way it can.

used to come out through the rocker gasket, now it has found a new place.

It is due a filter and change in the next couple of weeks. Will change it run it to 5w40 halfords or whatever I can find on a special for a couple of weeks, and see what it does. If it slows down the leak, all good, if it doesn't I'll stick in one of those seal conditioner "treatments" that last one oil change and shift it.

At least the aircon appears to be keeping me cool.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The GTi

What I would love to own would be the rally bred audi quattro:

next car? Well I am proberbly going to keep the GTi and the 205 diesel for a few years, and when I come out of university... Not sure what I will get, proberbly something japanese and turbo charged like an S14? Depends if I can keep up my insurance during uni really... I may go for something modern and sensible and put a vr6 or 5 cyl 20v turbo audi engine into the GTi, and really go for all out speed on it.

Reply to
REMUS

My next car? Well I am proberbly going to keep the GTi and the 205 diesel > for a few years, and when I come out of university...>

Why not build a V8 Punto as well?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

There a reason for using Millers? I wonder if another type of 10w60 might make a a difference e.g. Castrol R like wot we use in the race car?

I'm assuming you've examined the block etc. for signs of leakage? Wonder where it could be going... You're not doing a Spy Hunter smokescreen type thing are you? :)

Good news! The last couple of days' weather should be a good test :)

Reply to

Can't make my mind up between Saab 900 Turbo 16 or Capri 2.8i for cars I've owned. Both top cars in their own way.

What would I like? - a late 70s 911 Turbo...

Mike

Reply to
Mike P from the North

> My next car? Well I am proberbly going to keep the GTi and the 205 diesel >> for a few years, and when I come out of university...>>

They have both been done before you gimp.

Reply to
REMUS