Optima Batteries

I see that many people are sold on Optima batteries, and in fact, I had one that lasted more years than it probably should have. But, that was back in the desert Southwest. Now that I am in New England, my research indicates that Optima's don't hold up well under extreme cold conditions. I know that several contributing members live in cold weather country, what's the scoop on the Optima's?

I am due for a replacement, and I don't mind spending $160 for a yellow top if it is going to give me 5 or more years of usefulness. If it is going to crap out next winter, then I will just stick to wet-cells.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

After 5-6 years and a bad christmas freeze my red-top now only tests to half of it's cranking rating, I bought a new one and haven't installed it yet, I will use the old one for the boat's trolling motor. My winters usually dont get below 20 F or so, and is usually warmer.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I managed to get 3 years almost out of one....

Then it showed dead cell issues.

Mike

Jerry Newt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Take a look at the Exide Orbital (or Sam's Club XLT version), same technology but less cost. IMO the deep cycle versions are best served in dual battery installations - deep cycle for winching and crank battery for starting.

JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

I've had my optima red top going on 7 years now. It has been drained dead from lights left on several times and it still checks out fine starting my 94 YJ time after time from 100 degree summer heat to 20 below zero winter nights. I would say I am sold on optima batteries. Thats my opinion.

Reply to
Judd