[OT] Burger!

I'd almost drive back down there for another burger. They were that damn good!

Even the train stops for lunch there.

Reply to
DougW

Every time I drive back down to Texas, my first stop always includes a local diner for a hamburger - seems to be a whole different animal from what I get in Colorado. Imagine my surprise when we moved from Austin to New Jersy and I ordered a burger. Out came this overcooked, tiny patty on a bun with Catsup! I had to ask what it was.

Reply to
Will Honea

Doug, drive down from where?

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Oklahoma

Reply to
DougW

Just curious. I'm headed to San Antonio in Sep.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Hey Doug!

A group of us from ROF are planning a trip to OK next month. You should come! It's on the 10th in Daisy OK.

If you're interested, give me a way to get the info to you.

K.

Oklahoma

Reply to
Kate

It should be a lot cooler than last week. Never hit one day below 100.

Reply to
DougW

Could be fun. The ZJ isn't set up for off roading though.

225 tires and no tow hooks or skid pan, so wheeling is sorta limited to puttering about on trails.

Sep10 or Oct10?

Reply to
DougW

October 10,

here's a link ;)

another:
Oh and - I LOVE a good burger. Burgers are one of my favorite foods! Right up there with king crab. Where's that burger place?

K.

Could be fun. The ZJ isn't set up for off roading though.

225 tires and no tow hooks or skid pan, so wheeling is sorta limited to puttering about on trails.

Sep10 or Oct10?

Reply to
Kate

That's a bit much for the ZJ. I don't want to put a rocker panel and door on it again.. :) Tree saved me from the rock.

North of San Antonio.

Oddly, I don't take too many photos of my trips. :/ Got to figure out a mount for the camera. Most of my stuff is up "semi improved" access roads, up to mountain top radio sites. Great scenery but not where you would want to take yer hands off the whee. :O

Reply to
DougW

I used to drive my Mini 2.5-3.5 hours from Richmond, B.C. Canada; to Pemberton, B.C. for Hamburgers, Fries, and a Killer Strawberry Milkshake!

They were the best Burgers in all of British Columbia! Then the whole town of Pemberton was hit by a flood and the local "Greasy Spoon" was no more! :(

Reply to
socks09

This topic brought back some fond memories. I grew up as a military "brat" back when a 2-year tour was a luxury so we saw a lot of places (16 different schools between 1st grade and high school graduation). Then I served 12 years myself and it seems like every place I ever lived is associated with some memorable food or another. When people ask me how I remember all those places, I tell them by two unforgettable characteristics: what they smelled like and the food they served. Anyone else experience this?

Reply to
Will Honea

My dad always got stuck at the shitty locations. However, I still wound up working for the AF, just as a civilian though. Love to travel and apart from the occasional fast food by necessity I eat what the locals do. Oddly, Japan has killer Indian/Tandoori food. But Germany is for the beer!

Reply to
DougW

Or, if you were ever stationed in North Carolina, folks would ask "how did you like "Wilbur's"? (BBQ place just outside Goldsboro)

Old Chief Lynn

Reply to
coffelt2

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I travelled a lot in the military, and as a civilian until just recently, and pigging out with the locals is always a fine way to spend time.

The best Irish food I've had was in a theme bar/pub in Seoul Korea. Tokyo has some German themers that are better than Germany. The best French food I've ever had was in 'Nam, with Montreal a close second, and the best Thai food was Cupertino CA and just north of Boulder CO. Best Germanic beer was near Felton CA.

Not that I would ever turn down any offers of any ethnic food in its home culture, particularly when free. Particularly when suitably drowned in butter, garlic, peppers, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, Italian pizza, well, lets just be charitable and mention either New York or Chicago and move on.

Reply to
Lon

Italian pizza is good, but only if you get it up around Aviano AB. Seems the further you go south, the worse the gelato, espresso, and pizza gets. You also want to stay away from any place with "Restaraunte" in the name, aim for something with "trattoria" or "bar" much better eats for a hell of a lot less. Sure the table might be plastic and a bit wobbly, but your not there to eat the table.

Osan AB, Bobo's in Paradise. drink the big _NEON GREEN_ drink. Dang soju, I swear that stuff is proably better than PB blaster and loosening things.

But if you want good wings, just exit the sontang gate and head south. One block down on the east corner, just above the money exchange place, is a bar that sells awsome hot wings, cold beer, and has some very friendly waitstaff. ..what goes TDY stays TDY..

Reply to
DougW

I don't know about that. The wife and I had a pretty fine brick oven pizza in Venice a few years back.

Reply to
Old Crow

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Well dang it! You could always come up and ride the bunny trails and drink beers around the campfire with us if you like. We're going to have a pretty ummmm... fun, yea that's the word, crowd this weekend.

If you have second thoughts and decide you'd like to get away this is my Jeep

and this is what our campsite usually looks like Big brown house sized tent.
We'd be happy to buy you a cold one :)

K.