Parts falling out from under dashboard - Black-box

So a little black-box with a circuit board inside fell onto the floor today. It appears to have been duct-taped up under the dash, but wasn't connected to the plug-in wire thingy leading to god knows where.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do with it? What's it for?

JP

**************** Googling...
Reply to
Jay Pique

I assume its a jeep vehicle...if so it's the intermittent wiper controller. If you don't want intermittent wipers sell it on ebay for ~$50.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hehehe.... That's sort of what I was hoping for! In any event, it's not the intermittent wiper controller because those still work. What doesn't work is the cruise control. Could that be it?

JP

************ Rookie.

Reply to
Jay Pique

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The intermittend wiper control on my 1990 Cherokee has a plug in each end.

A more likly candidate could be the box that controls the warning light for emission. It is normal to unplug this when the light comes on. Difficult to reset :-)

But this all depends on year and model I guess. On newer cars I would guess that this gizmo is computer controlled.

regards Odd-Inge

Reply to
Odd-Inge

Actually Bill, AMC 'did' use a whole bunch of 'duct tape' when they built the Jeeps I have seen. It is used on some under dash parts and on the wiring harness all over in places like the resistor wire's crimp connectors and stuff.

I thought I was seeing 'custom' wiring until I saw the 3rd or 4th the same way.

I don't know where the cruise module is on the OP's mystery Jeep, but on the CJ's they were on the side of the steering column under the dash on top of the emission maintenance timer box. It could be either of those maybe but a box size might help and a type of Jeep.....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This was certainly true of the 1978 and 1979 CJ harnesses I pulled apart. It looked like they used duct tape (applied very haphazardly) when looming up the harnesses before applying the black stretch wrap.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

It's just over an inch thick, and is roughly 6 inches square. It pulls apart into 2 halves (each 6 inches square) to reveal a circuit board with two small adjustable dials (Low Speed and Centering Adjustment) and similarly sized white one kitty-corner from the first two (Sensitivity Adjustment). Could this be a power braking thingy for towing trailers?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

That's definitely the cruise control box - it sounds just like the one that was in my '82 AMC concord.

-jdarg

Jay Pique wrote:

Reply to
jdarg

Really sounds like the cruise control module to me. Does it look sort of like this only black?

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

Yep - I agree with you. It's definitely the cruise box. So I hooked it back up to the wires, but CC still doesn't work.

I think I need a good repair manual.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

If you bought the Jeep used, it might also be a remote starter. I found something like that in my Astro and whadda ya know? Contacted the manufacturer after figuring out what it was, and now that I bought a replacement remote unit, I can start the van from inside the house on cold days. Sweet!

The harness on these usualy looks pretty stock, and disapears into the column wiring. Take a good hard look at the unit (take it back out) and look for a website or serial numbers, FCC code or anything else you can find. That'll tell you exactly what it really is. Even a part number will help.

Cheers, - Jeff G

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)