renault stereo stalk functions

Can someone with a new shape renault clio or laguna tell me what the functions of the stereo's remote controll do please?

i've got a stalk controll for the stereo from a clio, i think it's a post

2000 model, the rounded remote with a thumb wheel on the back, i'm going to retro fit it to my van, and using an adapter use it to controll the panasonic mp3 player i'm fitting,

On the stakl theres volume up and down and mute.. pretty self explanatry, i think source up and down (top round buttons) does that go through the sources..i.e radio, cd, tape etc, or is it for scanning through radio statio pre-sets/tuning??

then theres a thumb wheel on the back.. what's that do??

And finaly theres a single button on the bottom of the control, with some weird symbol for it, cant even describe the sysmbol.. something like a brick being shoved towards the radio?? is this the self destruct button, or something a bit more usefull???

i never thought to grab the stereo manual that was sat on the passengers seat of the car i got the remote stalk from, the buttons will most likely do different things when attatched to my stereo via an adaptor, but if i know what i should expect each button to do that would be a starting point.

one last thing that would be a great help, to get the correct adapter box, i need to know what stereo the stalk was connected to.. problem is the stalk i got came out of a boy racers car, and it had an aiwa stereo in there, and the stalk wasn't connected,

on the end of the stalk wire is a black plug, about 10 or more possible connections, 6 wires connected, i looked in a laguna that had the same stalk, and that had a white plug, about 9 connections, again the same 6 wires to pins,

the black plug was push fit only, the white one has a locking tab like an iso connector on the back of a stereo, (the white plug on the laguna 'fell off' when i touched it, and jumped into my pocket, so i have a choick of plugs i can put on the end of the wire now :)

but there's 3 different adaptors available, 2 depend on if the stereo is a vdo unit, and has a remote display or not, and the other goes on the stereo make being other than vdo, neither car had the origional stereo so i'm guessing now, anyone had their laguna or clio's stereo out and noted the type of plug for the stalk care to share it with me?

Cheers

Gary and Sam

Reply to
CampinGazz