Pictures for you web wheelers.

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Lon

Kevin in San Diego proclaimed:

Coolest two ordinary craft I was ever lucky enough to see airborne were the B-70 and the first semi-public showing of the MickeyDee F15. The other stuff was more impressive, lotsa "happy 4th of July" moments at White Sands and affiliated launch sites--and several rather strange ones of truly oddball technology guaranteed to cause saucer reports.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I remember doing a book report and building a paper-and-cardboard model of the B-70 in 4th grade, circa 1979...there was a book on it in the school library. Of course by the time I got to it the B70 program was no longer around.

Never saw an SR-71 in flight but I did see the one (amongst a lot of other really neat stuff) at the American Air Museum at Duxford, UK a couple years ago. The final flight crew had signed all their names on the inside of the forward landing gear door.

Matt Macchiarolo

Can you provide me reference to this ...I've heard otherwise from a number of sources. I've heard that Eisenhower was aware of and supported the creation of the U2 as early as 1954.

Reply to
griffin

Like pretty much everything non-Jeep, the only evidence he could provide would be written on a small roll of soft paper that has convenient perforations allowing it to be separated into sheets as needed.

Now granted the CIA may not be the best source of information, but their declassified U2 project report notes that Eisenhower was aware of the flights from the beginning [1956] but was against them due to the risks involved.

A similar claim was made by Harry Stine, who would be suspected of knowing...

griffin proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Matt Macchiarolo proclaimed:

When I was at Wright Patt, there was a B70 parked outside at the Air Force museum, worth seeing even parked. In flight it looked like a Concorde on steroids and crank.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

A president during the Cold War publicly denying the existence of a spy plane?

Surely not.

:-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Like we American knew they had out pilot, but we didn't have a high attitude plane so it must have been another Russia propaganda stunt.

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Not unexpected. A fairly modest overview of the project is available here:

A rather large collection of links here:
More here: [need to search]