OT- Tornado in El Reno, OK-OT

Maybe you saw a picture/report of the tornado that came so very close to our place on the evening news last night or morning news this morning... Here is what happened in our town of El Reno,OK.

--------------- Well, we had a close call this evening. We were under a tornado watch this afternoon and suddenly at about 7:15 we had a tornado develop about 2 miles SW of El Reno by the El Reno Lake about a half mile off of I-40... that would be about 3-4 miles of our house... Headed to the South part of town in El Reno and directly toward our house!!

We decided to get in the car and drive south on hyway 81 to get behind the tornado and away from the city... we got about a half mile south of El Reno on hyway 81 and there it was just to the west!! About a half mile off of hyway 81 sort of moving slowly toward us! The tornado was a pretty good size one and we could clearly see it against the western sky since the sun was still not down. What a sight it was!! Estimated at an F2... It could have been the movie "Twister"! We watched it for a few minutes there as we waited about a half mile on the hyway from the tornado... and then it started to dissipate... and it was gone about as fast as it came up...

The El Reno airport got hit... a few single engine planes were damaged and the main hanger was hit hard... Lots more warnings out for Oklahoma this evening... I noticed that Marlow is getting one pretty close to them as well...

So, we have had our excitement for tonight! The all clear has been sounded!! We thank the Lord that so far no one has been recorded injured or killed.

------------------

Regards to all, Mike M.

63Champ 65Commander
Reply to
Mike M.

Watched it live on Channel 6 in Tulsa,when it got to the hangers you could see debris flying round and round.

Bob Whiten Wagonmaster

Wagonmaster

Glad to hear that you and yours weren't harmed, Mike. Tornados are scary stuff. We get them here in Alberta from time to time, too.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Reply to
Mike M.

Thought you were going to say that you dodged the one, and ran into the other one. There were two active tornadoes in your area at the same time last night.

Reply to
Dave's Place

Hi Dave, Well... in the cloud that was just on the S. side of I 40 close to El Reno... there were two tornadoes that developed.. only the one really lasted very long... then just to the east of 81 toward Yukon there was a cloud with "3" tornadoes in it... scary stuff.. but no one hurt there either... Those twisters were poppin' up all over.

Hey you guys in the Stillwater area had some bad clouds too.. huh? Regards, Mike M.

63Champ
Reply to
Mike M.

Just like pop corn!

Yep, Stillwater had some action, but no twisters. It's amazing what difference a few miles make. I'm about 6 miles south of Stillwater, and just got a nice rain... didn't even have to shut down the 'puters, the lightening was mostly all north of us.

Seems like the really bad stuff does what we call, "The Perkins Split." North and south of us can catch hell, and we just watch. But... ya just never know.

Reply to
Dave's Place

that is soooo true..."ya just never know" we had about a 10 - 15 minute window to decide what to do...

I am thankful for the much better weather forecasts though... when I was growin' up in OK in the 50's we would all run outside and just look and try to make sense out of it... at least now we have radar...

Reply to
Mike M.

Beats the odds for quake, eh?

Reply to
Dave's Place

I was in earthquakes a couple of times.. once in San Diego at Naval basic training..(boot camp) and once in Roswell NM... first one was really dramatic, very strong.... happened as I was in the head(bathroom for you land lovers) lights started swayin' from the ceilings... really wierd.. couldn't stand up and walk in a straight line... all of us boot camp trainees managed to run out in the field and wait until it settled down...

The one in Roswell almost shook me out of the bed one night.. really a freakish thing to happen in New Mexico... but it sure did...

Reply to
Mike M.