Ping---> Mike Romain

Hi Mike,

Two quick questions.

  1. Napa can get me the Accel supercoil. Is there a specific part # I need? Their catalogue seemed to have the 1 fits all type. $ 60.00 50,000 volt unit. Also, I use the NAPA brand D. cap / rotor and wires. Can these handle the voltage increase?

  1. My new stock distributor works great! I didn't realize how worn out the bearings and shaft were on the old one. Question: The wiring to the old one was direct wired. I'm referring to the black wire on the distributor with the 2 - 22 gauge wires within. The new unit came with a two wire plug connector. I just cut the plug end off the new unit and just spliced the two wires back together just like the old one was wired. Like I said it's working fine. But, does it matter which wires you have connected together? I tested the old unit by reversing these two wires and it seemed to make no difference.

Thanks again for your advice. Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

The coil is a one for all that can run on either 12 or 9 volts with a ballast resistor.

I was told by Accel that with my stock Ford style ignition module, I had to stay with the ballast wire in my 258 or I would fry the module pretty fast.

What kind of ignition does yours use? Maybe you can get it to run 12 volts for a real hot spark. ;-)

If the wires coming out of something are both black, then it makes no matter the order usually.

Yours is a 75 right? My book that was 100% right on for my 86 says you should have a blue and yellow or maybe a blue and white. The wires coming out of the distributor should be marked if it matters. Simple switches sometimes matter, sometimes not.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Oh, I am using OEM wires and cap and rotor. They work really well. I tried the Accel set and they were crap. The cap arced out in a couple weeks and most of the ends fell off the wires the first time I changed the plugs...

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

I use Bosch wires, cap and rotor.

The wires are nice, they have a metal C clip that keeps them on real tightly and doesn't deform when you remove/reinstall plugs.

Reply to
DougW

Hi Mike, Hi Doug,

I sure mine is a Prestolite Ignition. My "Painless Wiring" kit diagram shows Prestolite. Also, the tag on the old/new distributor says the same.

12 volt I'd guess.

Mike, when you say OEM? Is this from the dealer or just NAPA / equivalent stock?

Doug, With your Bosch setup, are you using a high voltage coil? I don't want to be left walking.

Thanks for your reply guy's!!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Paul Brogren did pass the time by typing:

Hi Paul,

OEM. It's been in there for nearly seven years.

Reply to
DougW

Well, when I realized I had no contact left on the ends of half my Accel wiring set, I was way out in the bush with my CJ on it's virgin run after the rebuild. I put it together in the dark a couple days before and didn't realize the clips were still on the old plugs. Needless to say it wasn't running too good. Surprisingly not bad, but bad enough I was determined to track down the miss.

So rather than drive 100 miles to the nearest auto store, I hit up a local Chrysler dealer and got real OEM wires.

They work excellent and have a lifetime warranty on them.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
bllsht

After I get this coil, where did you mount it? Obviously, it won't fit in the existing holder.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

It comes with it's own bracket and fits in the stock location fine.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain