Position sensor

I have a problem, My check engine light came on on my '98 Jeep Grand Cheorkee, so I had someone look at it and the computer reading was Bank 1 sensor 2, that was what it said, so I get that the second sensor is bad, but where is it? Have any advice?

Reply to
McNick

try looking near the convertor.. thats where it is on wranglers.. hope this helps!

Reply to
Jarod Sprauer

McNick did pass the time by typing:

The P code would help,

Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the second downstream O2 sensor.

Sensor 1 is on the downpipe just after the exhaust header. Sensor 2 is in the exhaust pipe just after the catalytic converter.

I'd find the sensor connector, clean it, and reinstall. Also check the wires for burns from the exhaust system.

(don't spray cleaner on the sensor or up the wire harness toward the sensor. very bad for the sensor.. very bad...)

All else fails, replace the part. ( $83 OEM (buymopar.com) $102 from the stealership.

Napa has generic BSH 15729 for $60 and OEM BSH 13138 for $78

That's not a critical error. You can live with it for a while if you need to. Only the first sensor actually adjusts fuel trim, the second keeps an eye on the catalytic converter.

Reply to
DougW

It is quite common to find the wire had brushed up against part of the exhaust and the insulation burned away causing a short or break in the wire. If you find this it can be repaired.

Use wire of at least the same gauge, solder, and shrink-wrap the repair to make it waterproof. Use plastic zip-ties to secure the wire and prevent a repeat.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
philthy