02 sensor code on 96 LS400 (P0141)

P0141: H02S Heater Circuit Malfunction, Bank 1, Sensor 2.

My question is, will replacing this one O2 sensor cure this problem? And what sensor out of the 4 is it exactly? I assume is the one after the Cats.

Can someone shed some light on this.

Thanks very much

-Andy

Reply to
Andy

Typical Toyota wording (bank 1 is the first set of O2 sensors and Sensor #2 is the right side one)...these are the Main ones not the cheaper 2nds.

I don't have a manual for that year (but I know on the gs400 all 4 sensors have heaters - unlike a gen 1 ls) and I have seen simple connector problems between the relay and the sensor heater. (you just have to check resistance on the heater to rule that out).

You did not say mileage or such, but a word of caution. Being cheap... I replace only one main on a gs400 once. Although it seemed to be OK, the newer sensor just responded differently than the old one. During a "rolling stop" where you try to accelerated from a slow roll (and the transmission and the ECU are fighting each other over engine timing and fuel flow) things just where not the way it used to be. Replacing the other main sensor cleared it up.

HTH,

rd

Reply to
Nospam

Reply to
Frank

Frank got me to drag out the GS400 manual.....sure enough page 1740 (exhaust) agrees with me.... but wait on page 1699 it agrees with Frank! go figure

Well if we go with Frank it is the "after the catylist" driver side sensor.

On the gen I they called them mains and subs(after the catylist). I would check the resistance to see if you really have a bad heater...that would rule out having been steared to the wrong sensor and/or a wire or relay issue.

cheers,

rd

Reply to
Nospam