Power steering

I am looking at getting a winch for my 2002 TJ. I am thinking hard about a Mile Marker winch. Is my power steering pump good enough for this application? What is the advantages of hydrolic over electric? If there is any. Does anyone have an insite on this subject?

Thanks Mark

2002 TJ Wrangler 3in Black Diamond 31x10.50 BFG/AT
Reply to
Mark Belew

Oh, boy! Now you've gone and started it! ;)

First of all, most people here strongly prefer electric winches (especially Warn). Hydraulic winches are useless if you motor is not running. On the other hand, hydraulic winches can run all day long while electric winches need to stop and cool down on a regular basis. It depends partly on what kind of wheeling you plan on doing. (mud, rocks, hill climbs...) As for your power steering pump, it would probably be better to get the high pressure/volume pump that Mile Marker offers as an option, although, your power steering pump will probably work. You just won't get as much speed and pulling power from the winch. (I think MM has a chart on this somewhere.

Good luck with your project, TJim

Reply to
TJim