Premium Petroleum

Well...DUH! We all do. Yea, you better hang on to this one for a while.

Reply to
jbjeep

Well, some people may be able to "religiously" change their oil and filter every 3000 or so miles, but I'm not one of them. My oil change duration varies quite a bit and I use synthetic mainly for it's ability to go farther without viscosity breakdown. I think the synthetic lubes better, too. (I'm probably opening up a can of worms with that comment, though.) I just feel better having synthetic (in the AMC 360 in my Grand Wagoneer, especially). JMHO TJim

98 TJ SE 90 SJ GW
Reply to
TJim

Ok I realize everyone thinks I am an idiot by now because I'm new to this but I really am trying to learn. So, I admit, I don't know what "Timming" is. Could you please explain this to me. Thanks.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Allow me to assure you that it doesn't take very long for a Porsche engine to begin making expensive noises if it even *thinks* it may be low on oil pressure. Nice light allow high performance engine, but unfussy is not a word I'd ever use in connection with a Porsche engine of any era.

Approximately 9/4/03 19:10, twaldron uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

being new has nothing to do with it. dont argue with the voices of experience and youll do fine.

ignition timing is telling the spark plug when to fire in relation to piston position. first off, do you understand the basic principles of how an ICE (internal combustion engine) functions? lets figure out where youre at first so we know where to start.

the good news joshua, is that by the time we're done with you, youll be able to build your own jeep. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

They are talking about the way I have my CJ7 engine set up. I have a hot 'timing' curve on it, or hotter than stock anyway.

It is how much and how fast the timing advance is set up to.

I have my 258 tuned manually with no computer or knock sensor working on it and a high voltage coil, an Accel SuperCoil.

If I use regular gas, my engine pings like crazy or I have to adjust the timing to run it and it still pings. On a computer controlled engine, the knock sensor adjusts for gas automatically by retarding the timing if needed.

If I retard my timing to run on regular gas, my power and mileage go to shit fast.

It makes about 100 miles per tank difference and about 1500 rpm or so off the top end of each gear.

On my computer controlled Cherokee, there is no difference in mileage or power running high test or regular.

Mike

Mike Romain

I would suggest a visit to

and search on "engine timing" and read...

Reply to
Joe

I think he has the basics - It takes someone with a more advanced knowledge to determine that "timming" was an incorrectly spelled version of "timing".

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Yeah, like a winch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

haha...sorry about that!

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

Joshua:

A great explanation of auto ignition systems and timing can be seen here:

Tom

Reply to
mabar

"Timming" is what gets done to Lassie...

Reply to
TJim

Costs too much!

Reply to