Just wondering after the fact...

I have a 2002 Miata. I did a dumb thing - I wasn't paying close attention and took a corner a little too close. The rear wheel rode up on the edge of the curb just enough to pinch the sidewall on the rim and ruin the tire (sidewall got a hole in it - fortunately the rim just got a little scuff on it). All the tires were past due for replacement, but I was going to wait till the rains started here in the Central Valley of California (usually sometime in October or November) to replace them. My schedule was jam-packed the day of the blowout so I didn't have time to do a good online review of tires. I just drove over, on the little spare, to the closest Les Schwab outfit and asked what tires would fit on a 2002 Miata. They only had three kinds in stock and the only brand I had heard of that I had some good feeling about was Toyo, so I bought those and had them installed. They are Toyo Proxes 4's (four of them for about $370).

I know it's too late to do anything about it, but just out of curiosity I'm wondering how good a tire the Toya Proxes 4's are. I use the Miata primarily as a commuter car and only occasionally "push" it a bit for fun. The Central Valley of California where I live doesn't have any snow, so the tires mostly have to handle hot dry summers and wet winters.

Does anyone know how good or bad the tires - Toyo Proxes 4's - are that I ended up with?

Reply to
Ted King

Most MX-5 enthusiasts in the UK use either Goodyear Eagle F1 (GSD2 or GSD3 depending on size of wheel) or Toyo Proxes T1-S or T1-R. People who've tried all of them claim the Toyo has softer sidewalls, which absorbs a bit more road shock but squirms more in corners. I don't know about the Proxes 4 though.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I wish I'd have had time to do some research - I probably would have bought something other than the Proxes 4's. I'm just hoping it isn't too bad a tire. Thanks for the info.

Ted

Reply to
Ted King

Ted King wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

If they're round and hold air they're much better than the ones you had so don't worry about it, I bet they'll be fine.

Reply to
XS11E

Since your car is a commuter car that doesn't see any racing that you mentioned, the Proxes 4's should be fine. There is no question that a grippier tire is better in an emergency situation, but there is also the tire life factor that can become important on a daily driver.

I have all-seasons on a turbo miata now, which is a sin, they are even mounted on SSR Competition wheels. They still have a decent amount of tread left in them even with the increased tire wear from fast starts,(they get rotated), and I would probably be looking toward my second Toyo T-1's replacement by now, though that is the type of tire that I will have on the car very soon.

With 215/40/16's, replacing the tires every year becomes a factor on my budget. I used to be able to replace all four tires for under $400.00 out the door, now I am looking at closer to $550.00 for what I want.

Finally, if you start to autocross/race or just want a stickier tire option, it is really great to have a second set of wheels and tires.

I picked up a set of '99 alloys in near-perfect shape the other day for $100.00. On a miata with 195/50/15's, this would make a great second set with more performance-oriented tires on them for autocross, spirited street use, or both, saving the Proxes 4's for highway trips or just to use if money is tight when either set gets worn out.

Pat

Reply to
pws

They're a decent all-season tire, one of the better choices for your application. Stop worrying, adjust the tire pressure to 28 psi, and go for a drive.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Okay, thanks Lannie and everyone else. I don't see myself using the car much differently than I have been, so it's nice to know that the Toyo Proxes 4's are a reasonably good match for my needs. I'll check the pressure to make sure it is 28 psi.

Ted

Reply to
Ted King

Oh darn, sorry. Lanny (not Lannie).

Ted

Reply to
Ted King

Relax - only YOU will be able to evaluate the tires because all drivers are unique. If you get 20k miles out of 'em without a complaint, you should be a happy camper. Most often the people who regret tire purchases are people looking for the absolute perfect tire, pay way too much for them, and of course they are disappointed because there is no such thing as a perfect tire - or a perfect car - or a perfect anything for that matter.

If after evaluating them for a while and you feel they are to squirrelly or the ride sucks, do your research ( tirerack.com is a good source of info), purchase what you want, and sell what is left of these on eBay. Bad tires are not worth keeping on a car - a Miata is for fun, not torture. If you aren't happy with them, don't put up with them - life is too short. But if you have no complaints, you win!

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Ain't that the truth! I bought a Miata that had just come off a 3-year lease, and the dealer had put 4 new Cooper Cobras on it. If there's a more dangerous tire, I don't wanna know what it is--those things had almost no breakaway warning, and made rain feel like ice (not an exaggeration, the car would lose grip accelerating in a straight line in third gear). And those were just the most endearing qualities.

The Coopers came off within a week. They lay around the garage for a few years, but I knew I could not, with a clear conscience, even give them to a needy teenager. I paid a tire shop the disposal fee to have them shredded.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ted King wrote: >

I bought a '99 in May with worn Proxes 4s on it. They looked good and handled OK, considering that the tread was already half gone, until I took my car to have an oil change and the mechanic rotated the front tires left-to-right. Then I got on the Interstate and drove thirty-five miles with the front tires rotating backwards, and that one drive did them in, they seemed to fall apart inside. I couldn't feel a bump on the outside surface when I jacked the car up and ran my hand over it but the front end shook like it was falling off at any speed above sixty. Proxes 4s are directional tires; there are arrows embossed in the sidewalls showing the correct direction of rotation. If you get your car serviced and they rotate the tires make sure you check that they are going in the proper direction before you hop in and zoom off. I like my new tires but I would have been content to put off buying them for another few months.

Also, don't put your Miata in reverse and drive a long way fast as Hell like Notorious B.I.G. did in that one video. Although if you have all that rap-star chedda I guess you can afford to replace your tires every week, so what the heck, go right ahead.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
W. Kiernan

Good to know about the arrows. I'll definitely keep an eye on that. Thanks.

Ted

Reply to
Ted King

I like the feel of them so far - of course, the other tires were in such poor condition it probably wouldn't take much to make the new tires feel better. I wasn't expecting anything near perfection (especially at the price I paid - though they were the most expensive tires Les Schab had available to fit my car), but I am glad they aren't likely to be dogs. Thanks.

Ted

Reply to
Ted King

I've had the Proxes 4's on two Miatas now, and I like them. good feel, good grip. Not as good as a T-1S, but for the price (and availability :) ) they're not bad.

Ted K> >

Reply to
Cavtroop

They are not made in the 14" size as is the T1R, so that will rule them out for many Miata owners, unless they want to ugprade to 15" wheels.

Reply to
Frank Berger

When I got my MSM all the tires were up around 36 psi. I thought that was too high so I dropped it down to 29. Then I took the car in for a balance, rotate & alignment and the guy working on my car made a note on the invoice that the pressure was too low so he bumped it back up to 35.

Reply to
Carbon

It's an inexplicable fact that many so-called automative professionals can't or won't look up the corect pressure (which is not to be found on the tire, by the way).

Reply to
Frank Berger

Just get a set of these if they come out for general automotive use and you won't have to worry about air pressure anymore. ;-)

Pat - wants to see these tires work well for a long time before trying them out.........

Reply to
pws

What does it say in the door jam ? That is a good place to start looking. ( If you get a chance, you might show it to him as the proper place to look for the proper tire inflation numbers. ) I don't have a MSM, but I don't think 35 PSI (cold) is the correct setting. :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (BRUCE HASKIN) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3338.bay.webtv.net:

That seems way too high, my 1992 says 26 psi and higher pressures seem to upset the handling and make a very rough ride.

Reply to
XS11E