Putting two tow straps together???

Any safer means of attaching two straps together, than with a wooden doweling and still be able to get them apart??

Reply to
4X4PLAY

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You figure 8 the loops and stick the dowel through so they don't jam up.

You don't use the dowel to hold one loop through the other. There were some videos shown a while back that showed the dowel going ballistic.

We had a long thread on it I believe.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

D-shackle, if they have loop ends.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Dowel? Dowels are made for glued peg joints in furniture, and random handicraft activities. They are cut with no particular attention to the grain or consistency of the wood. I read a piece a while ago on making a ramrod for a muzzle loading firearm. The author was of the opinion, that if you would like to have a piece of wood stuck through the palm of your hand, there was nothing better to make a ramrod out of. He on the other hand always used a piece of straight grain hickory, selected and carved for the purpose.

I suppose that if you wanted to stick a dowel in the middle of a knot, to make it easier to undo, that would be all right. But knowing how "inventive" people can be, including one in a tool kit is asking for trouble.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

A D-ring in the center of two elastic bands is a missile waiting to kill someone. Really, don't do it.

Mike

Mike Romain

I use a stick I find on the ground instead of carrying a dowel, but a dowel works fine to stick in the middle of a figure 8 or loop through the loop knot so you can pry it apart easier later.

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Two bowlines?

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

bowlines don't slip, but put 8K of pulling power on them and they won't come untied either.

Reply to
Rusted

A bowline on a bite may be easier to untie after hard pull. SEE

details

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

Great animations !

Reply to
billy ray

If you make a knot, bowline or on a bight in a snatch strap that gets used to pull something out of mud say, better make it a pretty one because that knot will be very likely permanent.

There 'is' a reason they put loops on snatch straps. The loop on the end is super easy to mate up with the loop on the next strap to make extensions. These even get pretty tight, so folks stick a dowel or stick in the mating area of the loops to help pry it open.

It is easy. You hold the loop of the first strap up in the air and put the loop of the second strap 'over' it. You then take the far end of the second strap and pass it 'through' the loop of the first strap. This gives you a figure 8 knot that you can put a stick into to help it open later.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Dowel in this case would be a large piece of wood, like a piece of an axe handle. And sticking it in the middle of a knot is the idea.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Although it's usually used for rope, a Zeppelin Bend or Rosendahl Bend (same knot) will fit the bill:

rootwofake

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

:-) Actually I made one from an axe handle or it may have been a sledge handle, just cut it about 12" long.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III