Re: File Server at home

HomeBrewer did pass the time by typing:

I can't find a suitable news group to ask this question - and I know people > here have to be smarter than I am about computers. Here's the question: > > I want to run a file server from my house. I have 2 computers on a home > network and want my second computer to host pictures, files, etc for me to > access from work and other places. FTP or HTML either one. Where should I > start to learn how to do this? Thanks

Most ISPs frown on running servers and several actually block port 80 HTTP. So I'd say FTP would be the better option. That and at least on Cox they allow FTP providing it's not set up for anonymous access.

XP pro comes with a basic FTP service. Read up on any vulerabilites and make sure that box is secure because as soon as you put it up joe-hacker is going to try connecting.

Linky >

DougW

HomeBrewer did pass the time by typing:

It is your router. You will have to punch a hole through it so you can have remote access. Basically you will have to give one of your boxes a static IP then tell the router to redirect all inbound port 21 traffic to that IP.

Setting up an FTP server is not the same as using a client. You have to assign directories for inbound and create accounts, permissions, etc. My suggestion is do a lot of reading.

If you run any firewall software you might have to configure it to allow services.

Reply to
DougW

You may want to avoid opening up raw ports to services. You may want to consider using a VPN instead. This way you 'tunnel' into your network and then have access to any of the services.

There are tools like poptop that will let you use a linux box to act as the PPTP receiver. That way you can use any regular Windows client that understands the PPTP VPN protocol to connect back to the house.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

wkearney99 proclaimed:

Dunno how much the Cisco server/client costs...but works very seamlessly and allows you to cryptokey both machines to keep everyone else out--and you can pretty much use any type of link connect. Would suspect that there are pretty good freeware/shareware VPN tunnels good enough for modest file transfers. Still, if your ISP doesn't block the ports, the SCP stuff from the puTTY folks is extremely simple to set up... with cygwin being only a slight bit more difficult. And both are priced right--free.

For giggles, has anyone seen the reports [too appropriate to be made up] that BMW will soon be offering Sun Java in their vehicles? And guess who Microsoft has signed an automotive software deal with? FIAT!!! Yup...Fix It Again Tony Fiat auto systems by Microsoft...

Reply to
Lon

Off-topic....

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

verzeihen Sie uns, Internet-Führer!

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well we could always change this to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys+fileservers. ;)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford