Imogene Pass Fatalities.

I just read in today's Durango, CO Herald that another fatal accident has occurred on the trails above Telluride. This time a couple with two kids in a Grand Cherokee went off the trail to Imogene Pass. (Imogene is a moderately difficult trail between Telluride and Ouray that climbs to 13,000 ft at the pass.)

The driver and his wife were killed, their 11 year old son and another youngster were seriously injured. All of them were unbelted. The paper reported they had pulled to the side of the trail to let another vehicle pass. As they proceeded they ran the Grand up on some rocks that caused it to roll, then fall 800 ft down the side of the mountain. An accident investigation is still underway.

We again are reminded of the implicit dangers of traveling San Juan mountain trails. Along with the 2 fatalities on Black Bear Pass last month, these are the first fatal accidents on these trails anyone can remember.

Both accidents are reputed to have involve experienced 4 wheelers. However, with the increase in numbers of inexperienced drivers with new SUVs we fear these numbers will climb and advise everyone heading this way to be doubly cautious.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I find the words 'experienced' and 'no seat belts' hard to swallow in one sentence.....

Sorry to hear about the loss, though you are right it reminds us how dangerous our hobby really is.....

Mike

Jerry McG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If you are dropping that distance, you are in big shit, belt or no belt, but 2 did survive, so it really make me wonder what the results would have been if everyone was belted in.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You're absolutely right, I have no idea how anyone could wheel those roads unbelted, unreal. I use the term "experienced" based upon press reports. Who knows what that means to those who made the statements.

Reply to
Jerry McG

All four were thrown from the vehicle, it's quite remarkeable the 2 kids survived.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Tha's the wreck on Black Bear from a few weeks ago. The one on Imogene just happened yesterday.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Could not have said it better myself.

Reply to
Retiredff

Damn....I dont pull out of my DRIVEWAY without a belt on.....

SIGH....look for more knee-jerk legislation and lawsuits to seriously impair offroading from stuff like this...

Reply to
trailboss

offroading from stuff like this...>

No doubt. While they don't close the Interstates down because of traffic accidents, my USFS contact says the local anti-motorized crowd will try and capitalize on these accidents to further restrict activity on these trails.

Both of the trails are county roads, but that really only means the counties have jursdiction to determine their status, not private landowners, BLM or USFS. The Black Bear trailhead is in Ouray county, which is offroader friendly, but ends in San Migel County (Telluride) which is not. San Migel County has banned ATVs from their sections of Black Bear, Imogene & Ophir Passes. Dirt bikers have complained of being hassseled badly by locals when they come into Telluride from any of these entry points. It's probably only a matter of time before Jeepers get the same treatment from the Telluridians. (If so, the T-Ride residents will be forced to sell several thousand Jeeps lest they become politically incorrect!)

Ouray and Silverton are heavily dependent on off roaders for summer revenues, however Telluride don't need no stinkin' off roaders, in fact they probably don't need no stinkin' revenues, either, since so many residents are flatlanders with ridiculously deep pockets. (The only funny part about Telluride, the anti-ATV Mayor's name is Art Goodtimes!)

Reply to
Jerry McG

Heading to Ouray this weekend and was considering doing Imogene. It's been a long time since I did it and thought the fiance would like it. Hope she isn't reading the paper.

Reply to
Kevin S

Reply to
twaldron

We might actually head up yankee boy basin and do some hiking instead. We'll just have to see.

I haven't been on imogene since my parents and I used to vacation out her when I was like 14. Seem to remember it was gorgeous drive.

Reply to
Kevin S

Should be a great trip. FWIW, I was at a San Juan Mountains Assoc. dinner tonight and one of the folks thre said the last fatality on either Black Bear or Imogene occurred in 1973. Take a safe capable rig, pay attention, follow the rules of the road and everything should be fine.

Reply to
Jerry McG

But now you have to wonder if this just isn't more ammo for the tree huggers to close down trails!

I hope they actually look at the past occurances (or lack thereof) on these trails!

Reply to
SB

Trust me, seat belts wouldn’t matter! While we wore ours as we drove both Imogene and Black Bear, I doubt it would help!

Reply to
Panama