Re: YJ coolant systems

With 189400 on the clock, my YJ is ready for a new cooling system. I will

>be replacing the radiator, hoses where needed, thermostat and housing, >waterpump (rev flow, serpentine belt) and temp sensors where needed. Basically >it needs a new radiator since to old one is slow leaking coolant due to old >age. Any opinions which radiator to get? 3 core or aluminum? I am just >starting to looking around and will probably get it from the local jobber >store. The work doesn't look very difficult but if there are any tech tips >I would like to know. I replaced my radiator, waterpump and thermostat on >my VW when it had 140K miles which was a PITA.

Any opinions on make or brands for the radiator and water pump? How about an aluminum rad or is that a bad idea?

Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Parker

:). Now if I only knew what OEM radiator to get and to stay away from.

My aluminum radiator in my VW closed coolant system works great. However I have an 94 year Jetta which had G11 (blue) coolant. VW came out with the G12 (red) coolant which superceded the blue so I switched to that and soon enough my seams in the old radiator were leaking. I replaced the radiator, water pump, head water flange, fan temp sensor, thermostat and housing.

The 94 YJ has an old radiator using green coolant which is what I will continue to use however the radiator fines are falling out and it just is plain old but doesn't leak yet. I want to rebuild the coolant system so the car comes up to speed with the temp too. As long as it doesn't go over temp. :-) I suspect no thermostat.

Reply to
Peter Parker