Colorado trails

Quite a few years ago I visited the old "Yule" marble quarry, located in the mountains south of Glenwood Springs, near the town of Marble. There was an outfit offering jeep tours in the surrounding highlands, which we did for 2 days. Spectacular country up there. We were in an old Willy, with very skinny tires. It did great walking over the rock strewn trails we traversed. Bigger tires might be good for mud or snow, but I believe big tires are more susectable to punctures when driven over the sharp rocks typical in the mountains of Colorado.

The Crystal River Valley & the Redstone area was a fantastic area to spend some time in, even on just the regular roads. The hills are riddled with trails.

David

Anh-L>

Reply to
David Modine

I'm new to jeeps and 4x4ing. I just got some new (bigger) tires for my stock jeep WJ and would like to take it out. Does anyone know of any open trails in Colorado, not too far from Denver, that a stock jeep WJ with bigger than stock tires can tackle?

Reply to
Anh-Linh Nguyen

Fall River Road in Rocky Mountain National Park could be fun. You don't even need four wheel drive, really, for that. There are lots of books available. This page has a good selection.

This book is also good.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

There are a lot of interesting trails, but they do require some driving ability. If you take 285 southwest out of denver to Fairplay, you can run up over Mosquito Pass and down to Leadville. Then run back up and pickup I70 back to Denver. If you want a little more challenge, drive on out 285 to Buena Vista, then go south for a few miles to Nathorp and run up Chalk Creek canyon. Once you get past St. Elmo, it gets interesting, with the side trails usually being dead ends you'll need to travel back down. Or go up and over Tin Cup Pass to the town. Eat at Frenchy's. Its a Restaurant built on an island.

Not particularly hard, but do them before the snow flies.

Dick Burg

Reply to
Dick Burg

ok, I'll bite. What's the name of the software and where can I get it ???

Reply to
WMHJ

I use Delorme Topo USA 4.0. It cost me $69.00 with a $30.00 coupon that I downloaded from Delorme's website. I've seen it on Ebay in a sealed box for $56.00 and it's available by regions for $39.00. I've used the Garmin software that came with my GPS receiver but I prefer the Delorme. It has good city maps and highway information as well.

Bob Walker

Reply to
R. Walker