Rear Brake Shoes - '93 Jeep Cherokee

Anyone who has info, knowledge on how to replace rear brake shoes on 1993 Jeep Cherokee please contribute.. are there any special tips, ideas, procedures which would make this job easier? It has been many years since I have tackled one of these, but my son has asked me to help.. thanks to each of you and have a great 2005.. R. Griffith

Reply to
Ralf

Ralf did pass the time by typing:

A digital camera is always a good idea. (before you take things apart) :)

Clean (no lube) the insides and while your there throw in a "brake kit" Springs, retainers, new adjuster wheel. Make sure you put the correct adjuster wheel on the correct side or they won't work. And watch the adjuster pawl and adjuster wheel as they are usually bloody dang sharp.

The drums may need turning if they are scored or have a big lip on them.

OBTW: if you find yourself swearing and cussing because the drums won't come off... disconnect the emergency brake cable under the Jeep. :)

When you go to put the brakes back on, adjust the brakes out till you can't slide the drum on then back off just till it goes on with a bit of resistance. Otherwise you will be waiting on the adjuster to take up the slack and it works slowly.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

After years of doing this type of job, I finally purchase a special tool for doing drum brakes. It looks like a large bent pliers. It will make the job of removing and replacing those springs a lot easier and safer. The dumb thing about it is that they cost less than $15. I'm through using a vise grip and screwdriver!

Reply to
TCL