changing rear brake shoes

I was just wondering how difficult is it to change rear brake shoes? I've changed the pads on the front several times, but have never changed the rear shoes. Also, will I need any special tools to do the rear shoes? Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Walker

The springs are a bit** - get a good pair of vice grips and you should be set - make sure to grease the star adjuster (use moly or nickle assembly lube - won't go away like lithium) . Other than that, they are pretty straight forward. Take the wheel off, use a screwdriver to back the star adjuster down, pull off the drum, undo springs (remember where they go - maybe a picture is a good idea) - undo spring hold shoes, pull off shoes, service cylinder, reverse

Andrew

Aar> I was just wondering how difficult is it to change rear brake shoes?

Reply to
Andrew Paule

It really helps if you get a spring tool. Vice grips and channel locks will work but you can get the tool for cheap at any parts store. I bought one at Autozone and it was good for one brake job and I returned it cause the thing basically broke. The drum is usually pretty stubborn, you'll want to use a hammer or a mallet to break it free then work it off by rocking the drum off. When you do it, make sure you do one wheel at a time, you can use the other wheel if you forget how the springs were on there. You'll also need to adjust the brakes afterwards. Set the parking brake to two clicks and with the drum on, using a screwdriver, you'll turn the star adjuster until there is a slight drag. You'll be able to hear it. Do that to both sides and you're set. If you do the fronts as well, make sure you pump the brakes before you put it in gear, otherwise, you'll get a nice surprise as you go crashing into the fence or the car in front of you.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Pull the drums on both sides but change the shoes on one side at a time so you can use the undisturbed side as an assembly guide. It'll be a mirror image of the side you're working on. And remember...........short shoe on the front. Good luck Clint

Reply to
PAROADHOG

Clean and lube the backing plate and replace the hardware.

Reply to
saeengineer

Pay a little attention to the adjusters when you are doing the job. Do one side at the time, because the adjusters are NOT interchangeable.

Wash them with solvent to remove old (usually thickening) grease, wire brush the threads if you like, and relubricate with a good grease.

If you've never done this before, you might even want to take a photo if you have a digital camera, or at least make a drawing of what spring goes where, how it looks, etc.

The next time you do it, it will be a piece of cake.

Reply to
Larry Smith