Replacing plenum pan--what else?

I'm about ready to replace the plenum pan on my '97 5.2 ZJ.

I'm wondering if there's anything else that I should do on general principle while I've got it that far apart.

It got a new water pump, bypass hose, and thermostat about 10,000 miles back.

And before anybody says "how do you know you need to replace the plenum pan", I can see oil through the throttle body among other things.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sure it's not just the gasket? Similar to

?

Reply to
DougW

The plenum pan is a known problem on the Magnum V8s, Doug. It may be that = it's too thin or that the dissimilar alloy to the manifold results in diffe= rential thermal expansion, but one way or another the gaskets die very youn= g and there is an aluminum billet plenum pan that is thicker, stiffer, and = has the same thermal expansion coefficient at the manifold, that appears to= solve the problem permanently.

Since I have to remove the old plenum pan anyway to replace the gasket, and= since it's a job that I would prefer not to have to do several more times = during the expected life of the engine, and since the replacement pan is al= ready paid for, I am replacing the pan when I replace the gasket, whether t= he pan needs it or not.

Reply to
J. Clarke