Replacing Serpentine Belt and X-Fer Case Fluid (2000 TJ)

My Serpentine belt is starting to look aged and I'd like to change in the coming weeks. How do I go about changing the serpentine belt on my 2000 TJ (4.0L). Do I need to remove the PS pulley, etc like past years, or do I just need to take tension off the belt via the idler pulley?

Also...for the 231 Transfer Case, what size wrench will I need for the drain plugs? It seems that the plugs are 10-11mm. Does anyone know the exact size? I'm assuming I'll need to jack up the tranny and they remove the skid plate to access the drain plugs.

Thanks Pete

Reply to
WillysGuy

I just replaced the belt on my wifes 98 TJ this weekend. All I had to do was loosen off the tension pulley as far as it would go and then wrestled the old belt off, and new belt on. Even with the tensioner loosened off all the way, they're still pretty tight, but it's doable. The wifes TJ is a 2.5, but the methodology should be the same.

Don't know about the wrench size, but yes you'll want to remove the skidplate. Before you tke the skid plate off, make sure that you've supported the tranny/TC combo since the skidplate is wahat holds everything in place.

Mike

98 TJ SE
Reply to
GzrGlide

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Reply to
David C. Moller
1998 FSM page 7-30 New serpentine belt = 180 to 200 lbs Used serpentine belt = 140 to 160lbs Belt is considered New if used 15 minutes or less

Purchased a serpentine belt tester (Gates #91132) from parts store for $13.16 serpentine tester is different then v-belt tester)

too tight & bearings go bad - too loose & belt slips, squeals, wears out, etc...........more better to spend $13.16........

Reply to
Carlo Jr.