Clean Carbon from FI engine

I've been seeing posts on cleaning carbon from carborated engines. How would I do the same thing on a MPI engine? Pour water in where the air filter hooks onto?

thanks,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Yes or find a vacuum line to suck the fluid in.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well, I believe my jeep was running really rich before I put the FI on. A couple of reasons I believe this. First, I couldn't get rid of the stinky smell even after I put a new O2 sensor in. Then, when I removed the exhaust manifold to put a new gasket on I noticed the previous owner or his mechanic didn't use all the bolts to tighten the manifold down. I know this because the manifold would not line up to the bolt holes on the head. I had to grind out the end bolt holes amoung others to get it to fit properly. So I suspect it wasn't on there very well and so the O2 sensor couldn't compensate properly.

Now it's on there correctly, nice and snug but I'm afraid it has accumulated bunches of carbon.

Previously I mentioned I wasn't hearing any pinging from the engine since I put the MPI kit on. That has changed. Before I didn't have the distributor seated correctly because I didn't have an indexing pin. I since got one and seated it correctly and although it's running much better I'm now getting ping. I up'd the Octane to no avail so I'm going to JeepsRUs who told me they can advance the timing to get rid of the ping.

I was thinking that accumulated carbon may also be a cause of it pinging. I'm going down there today to see what can be done.

thanks,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Approximately 10/2/03 10:09, William Oliveri uttered for posterity:

For lack of a better description, at the throttle body. Aka the thingie that has a movable plate in it that looks like what would have been a throttle plate in an older car.

A squirt gun or spray bottle works ok, some folks put a bit of alcohol in the water, but nowhere near enough to actually burn.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Could you be too far in advance. I've heard ping when my motor is too far advanced.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Bill can you describe the sound? You said you can hear it when idling and between shifts. I think you may be fixated too much on the idea that you've got knock or ping. It could be valve train noise, rod knock, a bad spot on a belt, a bad belt driven component, it could even be your water pump, also if you have an AC compressor it could be that.

Carbon causes ping when it is super heated, and becomes an ignition source. It generally takes some good revs to get carbon that hot; and should go away when idling or between shifts (unless you commonly shift "throttle on" for some reason, or your engine is overheating).

If you really do have ping, the fact that it is present at idle RPM's suggests that timing or fuel deliver (lean condition) is the likely solution not carbon buildup.

Reply to
Simon Juncal