Replacing serpentine belt 2002 S10

Can not get new belt on. Have double checked that I have right belt.

No problem getting the old belt off and back on, so I know the routing is right althougg it's none too much slack either for an old belt.

Is there a certain pulley it needs to go over last? I'm trying to put it over the alternator pulley last.

Help is appreciated.

thanks,

john

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2 Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
john

I had the same problem on both my 1997 and 2003 S-10s. The solution was to buy the next longer belt. It's only a centimeter or so, but it is all the difference.

snipped-for-privacy@coldmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Bill Gee

Common problem with the S series. Two solutions are possible. One is to buy the next longer belt. Or you can do what I usually do and loosen the alternator up. I usually remove the inner bolt, then the one that is on the back and holds the wire bracket (yours may not have this one, some do and some don't), just loosen the outer one. Then shove (or if yours is like 99% of them whack it with a rubber mallet) so it drops down. Install the belt and then replace the bolts. To get the alternator back up without killing yourself use a pry bar between the bottom of the case and the bracket. The easiest access point is sideways over the idler and near the water outlet. Just put the nose of the bar in the slot and twist it to bring the alternator back up.

Reply to
Steve W.

I bought the belt at O'Reilly's ( brand name Master). I took it back and got a different brand (Gates) and it goes on like you would think it should.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
john