Ring and pinion - tech answer needed

I am selling a ring and pinion from a front end Dana 30, 3.73 from a TJ2002. Some one asked the following question:

Hi, I have a 1981 CJ5 with a Dana 30 front end. I just changed the rear end from a AMC20 with a ratio of 2.50, to a Dana 44 with a ratio of 3.73. I need the front and rear to match up. Do you know if your R&P work in my front end, or would there be any differences that I dont know about. Thank you

So can he use it?

Reply to
Snowboardripper

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'll take that bet. Both are standard cut, but if memory serves, the TJ/ZJ pinion is shorter than the CJ. If you look at any R&P catalog you'll see different part numbers for CJ, TJ/ZJ, and XJ/YJ respectively.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

You're just joking about laying $100 on it aren't you? I don't want to take your money, but hey, if you're serious I'm game. :)

The way I read it, summit only offers TJ Dana 30 gears in 4.10 (actually

4.11 by the way). None of the others are compatible with the TJ.

Check out this site and their complete selection of TJ Dana 30 'short' gears:

Or this one with 'short pinion' gears for TJ listed separate from those for CJ:

Or Precision Gear's 'T' designation in the part number for TJ gears:

Or these:

And a few listed on ebay:

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

Sorry about that first link. They actually do sell 3.73 TJ:

True, the sixth & seventh sites don't sell 3.73 TJ gears, but that's simply because it's not a ratio that's in high demand by the TJ after market. Most other sites do carry 3.73 gears special made for TJ.

The crush sleeve is a feature of the TJ dana 30 and its short shaft pinion. Note the 'TJ' designation in the R&P part numbers that list 'crush sleeve'.

The fact that you can buy all ratios with special TJ designation is compelling evidence that TJ Dana 30 gears are incompatible with other standard cut Dana 30 (including CJ), regardless of ratio. Recall a few months ago your disbelief when we debated the existence of the 'thick' TJ Rubicon D44 ring gears. Is it really so hard to believe that the TJ has an oddball pinion in the D30 front?

Now, about that c-note ... ;)

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That stubby TJ pinion just won't work in a 'Real' CJ Dana 30:

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill,

The domain name registrant is likely an employee of Randy's Ring & Pinion, an Everett WA company that moves $30 million annually and was listed by Inc. Magazine as one of the top 500 fastest-growing companies in 2003:

Back to the original point, the TJ Dana 30 pinion is significantly shorter than a normal Dana 30 pinion and it is therefore not compatible with a CJ Dana 30.

Here's yet another R&P vendor that lists different parts for TJ-only and non-TJ standard cut Dana 30 gears:

?axle=14 Note that all ratios (yes, even 3.73) are covered by the TJ-only gears, mostly by OEM Danas with aftermarkets filling out the selection for

4.11-4.88.

If you care to settle the wager, you can send payment to snipped-for-privacy@canada.com through

.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Okay, read page 20 of the Superior catalog:

States that "Gears ending in 'TJ' Fit: 1997 & UP Jeep TJ Wrangler Front". The clear implication is that all others do not and, conversely, that such TJ-only gears will not fit a 'normal' Dana 30. What more do you need?

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

> Eye balling the Dana 30 housings I could find, the pinions look the> same length to me:
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

I was referring to the page number printed in the catalog, not the number reported by your PDF reader that includes the title and contents pages in its count.

Every installer and distributor I asked told me the TJ gears won't work in the a CJ even if you did machine up a custom spacer sleeve. They even use different bearings. Call the Summit tech line and they'll tell you the same.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill,

What I see is that Superior makes D30373 for the pre-1997 standard rotation Dana 30 but chose not to bother making a D30373TJ to fit the

1997+ Dana 30 knowing full well that 99% of TJ owners looking for aftermarket gears would be wanting 4.10 and beyond. I also see that Dana/Spicer *do* make a 3.73 TJ-only gear for factory installs and dealer replacements:

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve