TJ gears

Hi,

When a newer TJ (4-cyl?) comes with a 4.10 ratio Dana 44 rear with track-lock, is it true that the carrier is the same size as the one that would come with 3.73 ratio? In other words, is the factory 4.10 ring gear thicker than a typical 4.10 ring gear in order to compensate for the lack of a carrier break in the TJ Dana 44?

I've heard that the use of thicker 4.10 ring gears in order to avoid a carrier break in the TJ dates from the 1999 model year. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

L.W.(ßill)

Hi Bill,

Are you sure about that? The Rubicon TJ uses a thick 4.09 ring gear on the 3.73-sized Tru-Lok:

Granted, the Tru-Lok is not a Dana carrier. While looking for some used

4.09 gears to fit my Tru-Lok, I found a set from a 2001 TJ D44 track-lock that the seller says will fit a 3.73 carrier. Just trying to confirm they'll fit before I mail away for them.

Is it possible that DC chose at some point to use thicker 4.09 gears in

4-cyl TJs in order to use up some 3.73-sized track-lock carriers?

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve