Selectable lockers

I=B4m considering getting a selectable locker for my rear D44 (in a 2.5 L YJ), not interested in an automatic locker, I've seen too many Jeeps slide sideways on otherwise easy sections of trail. The three I=B4ve been looking at are ARB, OX and Eaton E-locker. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
nrs

Air, Mechanical, electrical.

All will require taking the diff appart and getting it set back up with the proper clearances. So on a difficulty scale they are all fairly much equal.

OX, being pure mechanical has less things to break. Eaton, being electrical is easier to place the controls with. ARB, well, it needs air pressure so if your also looking at adjustable shocks or an on-board-air system then you can kill three things with one compressor/tank.

my .02 denebian moonslugs.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks. The Eaton uses an electromagnet so it may actually have fewer moving parts than the OX, not 100% sure though, would depend on the specific design. I've seen mixed reviews though about its durability.

Reply to
nrs

I have a full detroit mechanical in my YJ. I love it. I drive it daily to work and its not that bad. Haven't had it in the snow yet. Don't know whats going to happen there, but on the trail its awesome and I don't have to worry about adding all kinds of stuff to add to my Jeep to turn the locker on and off. My opinion.

Greg

95 YJ,4.0,3.5"BDS,Detroit, on 33's
Reply to
GGinn

I'd like to know. Especially when you find yourself descending a slick icy road in four wheel drive, for example. I wonder about mileage and tire wear too with a FT locker. But yeah, I am fully in agreement with the excessive moving parts argument.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Got an OX up front and love it. Only use it when I really need it. And that is not as often as I think I do. lol.

I run a Detroit in the back. It deffinitly has its moments, esp. on side hills that are mucky or icy. Does ok on the highway, even in snow. Mine is now a trailer queen, and has not been a DD for several years, so I really can not answer on milage or tire wear.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Put an OX locker in front of my CJ, love it, guy that put it in, a wheeler machanic, said it is better machining then a detroit. Had mine for about 2 years, no problem.

I´m considering getting a selectable locker for my rear D44 (in a 2.5 L YJ), not interested in an automatic locker, I've seen too many Jeeps slide sideways on otherwise easy sections of trail. The three I´ve been looking at are ARB, OX and Eaton E-locker. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Greg

Thanks for all the replies. The OX is looking good right now.

Reply to
nrs