Shipping A Jeep

Well, my son has been transferred to the left coast to Longview Washington from Ft. Drum NY with the wife and kids. He is going to be the Army Recruiter for the area. After 14 months in Iraq and before that he was in Kosovo for 18 months. He is not too thrilled about being a recruiter but I told him 3 years home with the family and not dodging bullets it looks good to me, he smiled and said that puts things in perspective.

Anyway he left his 97 TJ here in Maryland and wants to have it shipped out when he gets settled. Can any one recommend an auto shipper that they have used or have experience with.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I recommend staying away from household movers. When I moved from New Hampshire to Redmond, WA, Microsoft said they would pay the cost of moving one vehicle. On the surface this looked like a good deal, but after they took my van off the trailer in Tukwila, WA it had a fresh crack in the bottom of the gas tank. There was gas all over the bottom of the trailer and in some of my personal stuff, too. I didn't see them load my van on the moving truck, because they took it to the "loading dock" first, but I can imagine what had happened.

Use professionals, who use professional vehicle moving equipment.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

After my last move, I've come to the belief that if you want to move, you should do it yourself... Why the f*ck should you pay someone else to damage your stuff...

Reply to
Grumman-581

When you can just as well do it yourself!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

ableautotransport.com

Never used either one personally, but both of these came recomended.

Reply to
Rusted

I assume the Army is paying to have his goods shipped so price is not a large issue?

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

I was in the army for 26 years and had a few cars shipped. I went to the post transportation office and they made all the arrangements. You don't get to pick the shipper. The services have contracts with certain ones. If there is damage they pay for it. If you contract yourself, the govt. has no liability, and may not refund the full price you pay - if they pay at all. He has to do this, or at least sign the paperwork. And there is a time limit on moves, better check into that. He can also get mileage for driving the car himself if he wants. Better check with the post transportation people.

Reply to
Billzz

Since it is a state side move the Army will not ship it or make any arrangements to do so even if he pays. Driving two vehicles was not an oprion especially with kids a wife at least in one car the driving could be shared when someone gets tired. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Househould goods have nothing to do with your autos, in a state side move you drive it, if it was overseas the Army would ship two autos. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

The Army sort of hosed him over he got short notice in December and he had to be at his new duty station with in 45 days. Plus the other thing they did not even pay him his advance when he departed Ft. Drum. He waited around for over 4 days at our house and still no money. So I contacted a local Senator that I knew, we met with him and he talked directly to the base CO. All of a sudden POOF the money was in his account with in two hours. You would think the Army would treat their Soldiers decently but they really do not give a rats ass. He has told me this is the most hosed up transfer he has had yet and then to add insult to injurt his house hold goods end up in FT lewis.

I am going to ship his jeep for him and E-6 in the Army with a family makes squat.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Good info to know, thanks. My son might be in a similar situation (U.S.Navy chaplain). I suspect I might end up driving one of his cars and flying home. Most likely at my own expense!!

Again, thanks for the insight.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

When I was in the Navy, during bootcamp they said, "If the Navy had wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one with your seabag"... Although pay is quite a bit more than it was back then, I still suspect that it would be rather difficult to have a family as an enlisted personnel...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Pea?

Reply to
Grumman-581

When I move my stuff, I can do it without any damage to it... At the very worst, at least I'm not charging myself an arm and a leg to damage my own stuff...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Reply to
Will Honea

Moving your stuff is a hassle especially when the Army only gives you 45 days notice and won't release you from your unit and only give you 10 days to get across country. The Army did not give him much of a choice in the matter. From what I have seen the Army is probably the worst out of all the Services when it comes to PC moves. I was stationed with the Army for 18 months and it was a friggin night mare. When I was stationed with the Squids at GTMO it was probably one of the smoothest PCS moves I had. The Air Force also gave me a good move from NH to NY. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Try Kelly Air Base in San Antonio to Norton in San Bernardino..... via New Haven, CT....

Reply to
billy ray

Not everybody has a blast doing this sort of thing. Remember Nate's first move to Montana?

Perhaps a shipper is a good idea.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Actually Bill like all thing they change, saying things such as that are no longer allowed in any context and if you do you could be standing at NJP before the man. And GOD help you if you use any term but the word Solider to describe and opposite jender.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty