Shipping A Jeep

I had a similar situation, made E8 in Cuba orders to Hawaii stuff was packed and on it's way, then just before departure orders cancelled due to making CWO rerouted household goods to Clearwater FL new orders. Showed up at Clearwater Air Staition orders cancelled, new orders to Washington DC USCG HQ, 3 monts to find a house and the household goods no where to be found, 15 days later household located in Kansas. Four years lated I retired and will never fly, or move again.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I'd tell you it sounded like a personal problem - go see the Chaplain......but.........

:-)

Martin Caskey Millers Island, Maryland

Reply to
rmcaskey

I'm in Canada, but has my jeep 'railed' from VAncouver to Toronto. No major problems except for one I created myself! I didn't have time to drop the hard top and put the soft top in as well as the hard top....so I stowed the soft top on an angle. Well, as teh train bounced through the rockies, one end of the bar press against my tailgate and kept rubbing the sucker.

I guess it really doesn't matter how you ship it....if you're go> Well, my son has been transferred to the left coast to Longview Washington

Reply to
Steve Brady

I looked into this a bit when I was thinking about buying a GPW or an MB off eBay, and got as far as calling a couple places. I'd suggest picking up a copy of Hemmings Motor News and checking the ads there. There's a fairly constant stream of cars moving from the northern/mid-atlantic states to California and back, getting one that runs up to Washington state might be a bit trickier. If I recall correctly the rate last spring was about $1.50/mile.

Here's a guide that doesn't actually recommend any one hauler but gives some useful tips, like checking insurance:

They also suggest asking the moving company who _they_ recommend. Cross-checking their list with your local department of consumer protection should help you weed out the knuckle-draggers.

I sometimes wonder why no one has started a system that uses shipping containers kitted out with tiedowns. Drop the box, drive in, chain it down, haul it off to an intermodal yard and train-ship it anywhere there's tracks.

Coasty wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Thanks for the info. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Coasty, Tell him to wait a bit, get settled, and when he can, grab a hop from McChord AFB to Dover AFB, and drive it back at his leasure.

Eric USAF/ANG 21+ active duty/27+ total service with a retirement as a E-7 this summer! :)

Reply to
Eric

An alternative is Auto Driveaway (do a google search). Someone who wants to get to the destintation drives it there for you. I don't know the cost, but I think it's less than putting it on a truck. One bad part is you're getting a few thousand miles on your car.

The obvious drawback is letting a stranger drive your car.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Reply to
Dick

It must get boring, working on a ship all the time. Weeks at a time, nothing to do but pick locks. I wonder what happened to all the packages I have shipped home from Spain so far? Nothing in them but books, pamphlets, and assorted trinkets with no value except sentimental. Not one has shown up in three months. The one package I had shipped by plane showed up intact, except that the U.S. Customs goons had seen fit to dig through it. I wonder what they were looking for?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I'm surprised they let him. The military tells you to remove everything with exception to emergency tools (jack, etc) and a car seat. That's it. Everything else is supposed to be out. They know folks rip stuff off, that's why they don't let you ship it.

- Eric

Reply to
Eric

He made the mistake of renting a UHaul truck - I would far rather trust a 20 year old Scout that I had been maintaining myself than one of those but even that didn't prevent all the problems.

Part of the reas> Not everybody has a blast doing this sort of thing. Remember Nate's first

Reply to
Will Honea

Coasty wrote: Can any one recommend an auto shipper that they have

I've used Car-Go-Ship.com and was very pleased with the results and the price as well. They're a broker, but when you tell them you are shipping a car they only set you up with a car hauler. The price was also very low despite getting a great shipper who gave new meaning to Customer Service.

My 50 Willys Wagon was shipped via Car-go-ship.com from Colorado to Wisconsin for only $550 and it didn't even run. That price included the extra cost of loading a vehicle that can't move under it's own power. This was ~2-1/2 years ago.

Cheers, - Jeff G

1950 Willys 4x4 Wagon 1967 Kaiser Jeepster Commando Buncha other stuff ...
Reply to
Keep YerSpam

Another plus of these guys: They offer discount rates for military personnel.

Cheers, - Jeff G

Reply to
Keep YerSpam

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

LMFAO! Needless to say a Hummer isn't a Hummer any more. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

In the distant past I moved vehicles around the country with

had good service and they always did what they said they would do. That may not be the same today. Rick

Reply to
Rick Ankrum

Heh. Did you ever watch the 1970s movie _Vanishing Point_?

Steve Foley wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Substitute a Jeep for Barry Neumans '70 Challenger and it would have been a short movie. No race , no wreck.... no point.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Is that the one where he T-bones a bulldozer at the end?

Reply to
billy ray