speedo gears?

I was clocking my speedometer the other day with my GPS (I have 31" tires and 4.56 gears on my 98 TJ SE) and I found that the speedometer was reading

64mph at an actual speed of 60mph (on the GPS). The SE came with a 40 tooth gear, so I calculated that I need a 42.666 tooth gear. ;) I figured I'd go conservative at 42 teeth. I called Jeep parts at three different dealerships and they all say that the gears go up to 41 teeth and that's it. Does anyone know where I can get a 42 tooth gear? 41 is hardly worth the money to put it in. That's around a 1.5 mph correction. TIA TJim
Reply to
TJim

Just curious What is the accuracy of a GPS? I own a GPS And I think I remember reading that there is a tolerance.

+/- someth> I was clocking my speedometer the other day with my GPS (I have 31" tires
Reply to
FrankW
*Everything* has a tolerance of +/- *something*... ;)
Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I know, Bill, but the chart is wrong for the SE as far as I know. My SE came with 29" tires and 4:11 gears and had a 40 tooth gear in it. The chart shows a 38 tooth. If I'm reading 64mph at 60mph and I have a 40 tooth gear, The speedometer cable is turning too fast and I need a larger gear. 40 * 64 / 60 = 42.67 teeth. TJim

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Looks good, Bill. The only thing I find distracting is the "Go Jeep" flag on the mouse pointer, although, I never lost the pointer the whole time I was checking out the page. ;) So, it seams that, although I need a 42 tooth gear, the biggest one available is 41 tooth, right? Rats. Good thing I don't have bigger tires... TJim

speedometer

Reply to
TJim