speedo gears

Had 3.73's installed and need to change the speedo gear and the transmission drive gear. Does the trans have to be removed to change the drive gear. '91 GT 5 speed. Thanks in advance..

Reply to
Bill Knudsen

Drive gear Yes. Driven gear No. You want to change the driven gear. You will need a 23 tooth speedo gear Not clear why you want to change the drive gear unless you are looking for extreme accuracy..

Reply to
Richard

Try

You might do the same thing I did when I changed my 2.73s to 3.27s.

I didn't know if my '91 5.0L AOD had a 7 or 8 tooth drive gear, so I asked the mechanic to pull the existing factory speedo gear and tell me what color it was. I had bought three speedo gears from my local FoMoCo dealer, all close fits to what the Steeda page told me. When he said "gray", I knew I had an 8 tooth drive and had him install the 3.27s and the purple 21 tooth driven gear, then returned the unused speedo gears for credit. I do a -lot- of highway driving and the 3.27s and engine RPM were happy with this combination.

To confirm the correct driven gear, borrow a GPS and see if it agrees with your speedometer. My speedometer and GPS read within 1% of each other. (Probably the needle width and parallax error on the speedometer).

Don

Reply to
munged