Prices to regear to lower gears

I am slowly working an getting my Jeep back on the road and one thing leads to another.. Like upgrade ideas, improvements, ect.. I was wondering what the average price is to regear to lower gear ratio... I have 4.10 in it now and would like to go with 4.56 or 4.88 so I can run 33 or 35 tires and still be able to use 5th gear.. I am going to call around today at some of the local 4x4 shops and see what they charge.. But I would like to get an idea of price so I can tell if I am being ripped off or not...

Thanks as always.. This group has been great for info and support..

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

My last regearing was $1087 but that, at least here in the San Diego area, was a better than usual deal. Skip over the 4.56 and go right to

4.88. There's not enough difference between your current 4.10 and 4.56 to warrant spending that much money. Besides, 4.88 is perfect for 33" tires with your four-banger. I don't think I'd try 35" tires though.

Jerry

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I recently paid $350 at a local shop to have gears installed in my TJ. I bought the gears and install kits myself from the likes of Randy's R&P and Quadratec. Check prices online for comparison to your local shop... they may mark them up also. You should go all the way to 4.88 gears (I think that's the limit in the Dana 35) with your 4 cylinder. I have a friend with a 4 cyl YJ, 33's, and 4.56 gears that is not at all happy with his power and

5th gear use.
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hey Bill, I will do that when I get the time.. Between work and family.. It has been hard to get things done...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

Well.. I just got a quote from a local 4x4 shop.. Here is what they sent me via email..

gears 200.00/bearings&seals 105.00 labor1000. total w/tax on parts 1646.60

WAY TOO HIGH!!!!

I am going to shop around for prices..

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

Yep that's high... as I recall, I have about $900 in mine which included a Detroit TruTac in the rear.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

That's a pile of money just to have an overdrive gear...

I get the same mileage as I used to before the big tires by just not using 5th.... Suits me fine, one less shift to mess with.

Mike

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Somwehere around $1200 for both axles is the going price around here. Gears, seals, and labor. Bearings are extra, not a bad idea if your axle has high mileage.

D> I am slowly working an getting my Jeep back on the road and one thing leads

Reply to
RoyJ

Yeah Mike, I agree with you... I am running 4.10s now and to regear is too expensive.. Atleast until my rich uncle dies.. LOL.. Wait!! I don't have any rich uncles... For that kind of money I can use it for a winch, new bumpers, or whatever else I can think of...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

I can't recommend buying gears from one location and having another install them. If there is a problem, and there was after my last regearing, there will be finger-pointing between the installer and where the gears were purchased. Besides, just about any installer can match the pricing of an online gear dealer since they want the money spent on labor spent to install them.

Jerry

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Jerry, you are correct, I made a calculation mistake and did not add in the TruTrac at $350. I discovered my mistake shortly after my post. I wish there was a way to edit NG posts.

Sorry for the misinformation.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

In my case the gents at the shop are experienced and personable enough to know better. They know good gears when they see them and know that their performance is base on their labor only. I don't think this would be odd for any shop that knows what they are doing. Like you say: "they want the money spent on labor spent to install them".

JimG

Reply to
JimG

I paid $300 for labor plus about another $230 or so for parts that included a master install kit and a new carrier and lube, etc. That was just for the front regear. This was in Lewisville, TX.

Good luck, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Cox

I had 4.56 gears and a Tru-Trac installed in front for about $1300 in the Detroit area. The parts don't hit you as much as the labor does.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

So your front and rear are running at different ratios, or you just installed a locker/limited slip?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I replaced the "blown up" D35 rear with a new D44 last year, but didn't have enuf money to regear the front at the time, so I ran with 3.73 in the rear and the stock 3.07 in the front. I just couldn't lock it up until I got it regeared. Now, both front and rear are 3.73 and I'm back in the mud again :)

Reply to
Dennis Cox

I was at $1700 to go from 3.07 to 4.11 and Tru-Traks front and rear... all new gears and bearings...

-jeff

in article ZJpVd.263$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, JimG at snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote on

3/2/05 12:54 PM:

Reply to