Steering box snapped off my XJ

2 days ago I was reversing my '95 Cherokee (RHD) out of my driveway and when I turned the wheel there was a very loud crack sound and I lost virtually all steering control. Didn't take long to find the cause-the steering box had snapped off the front chassis rail. To say I am upset is a bit of an understatement, but at least it didn't happen while I was out on the highway. Anyhow I had the following pointed out to me

and I was wondering what the chances were of getting this fixed for free by a dealer. ok, the car is 10 years old, but it is an admitted design fault, otherwise there wouldnt have been a recall. Anybody got any ideas/suggestions how to proceed?

Thanks

Bert

(in UK)

Reply to
Bertie

I do not think there is a time limit

Reply to
Billy Ray

A recall is just that, a recall on something that is still in wide use that is found to be defective. I had a car that was 11 years old, and when a recall came through the repair was performed at no cost to me.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

I wonder if I snap my steering box off with 35" tires would it be covered? lol KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego