Steering Stops on TJ

Can any one tell me where the steering stops are for the TJ Wrangler as I need to change them so I can fit 31' tyre on it? Dave

Reply to
Lushy

You only need to change them if the tires tag on full turn.

Basically they are just a bolt with a nut welded half way along them located in the steering knuckle by the front axle u-joint. You pull them out and put one washer under the nut then put them back in and try. Some need 2 washers. Our Cherokee only tags one way and we just don't turn that tight. Never bugged me enough to change it.

Here is a link on them:

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Hint - soak it in penetrating oil first, put two spanners on it to turn it and be prepared that even if you have done both of them, it may just sheer off anyway and require drilling out and a helicoil fitted. Ask me how I know :-)

Reply to
Dave Milne

Anti Seize is your friend

Reply to
billy ray

yeah, tell Jeep that :-)

Reply to
Dave Milne

Hey now..... it would probably cost the 3 cents per vehicle to use anti-seize on every nut and bolt......

I for one would never pay an additional 3 cents ... well... they have to make a profit.... 5 cents on the retail price of a car in order to save hours of frustration and busted knuckles....

The bean counter who recommended not using plated bolts probably got a million dollar bonus.....

Reply to
billy ray

You wouldn't want to have a Jeep that lasted 30 years would you ? I mean that would deprive you of the opportunity to go and buy a more modern Jeep every few years !!

Dave Milne