Fuel Pump Relay Clicking to prime

I have a 94 GCL, and am stumped with a fuel problem. I have sense changed the relay, filter and pump, and have not fixed the problem. When i turn my ignition to st start position and leave it there, depending on the temp. 5-40 mins. the fuel pump relay will begin to click rapidly then slow down eventually quitting in which case the check engine light copmes on and the fuel pump finally pre primes then i can start it. I've heard that this may be in the case of a fauly crank position sensor. I was looking for any other possible insight or experience with this same problem.

Reply to
Jeepster

The 94 wiring is same as my 93.

The fuel pump and automatic shut down relays are fed by the ignition switch and the ground is controlled by the computer. Apart from a failing sensor, you could have corrosion in the harness or computer connector, or even a faulty computer. Let's start with the codes.

What codes are you getting?

Did you also check the fuses? There are three F3(20A), F8(60A), F15(30A) in the power distribution block behind the battery.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks man, but i haven't hooked it up to a diagnostic yet. that will be done wed. the 6. i thought this would have been something more simple but i guess it never is. Oh well thanks for the list of codes though that will be very helpful. I'm begining to lean towards the pcm my self. or a bad ignition. All the fuses are good ad i have changed the relay. I am also off the cps as wll being is i found an order of ignition opperations list adn it comes after the ernergizationof the fuel pump relay. One more thing though i did botice a bust in the return anti=-freeze hose beside the engine temp. sensor and some anti freeze hit the sensor for sure. do you think this could have ruined the sensor adn is keeping the pcm from activating the fuel pump. look in this list and see what you think you opbviouslly know more about thiis issue than i do and i appreciate all of your help. especiall after only posting it last night.

Ignition Switch On:

This is an OPEN LOOP mode. When the SFI system is ACTIVATED by the ignition switch, the following actions occur:

The PCM prepositions the idle air control (IAC) motor. The PCM reads atmospheric air pressure from the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor and calculates the basic fuel strategy. The PCM monitors the throttle position sensor (TPS) and engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor input. The PCM uses these inputs to modify fuel strategy. Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor is monitored. ASD relay is energized for 3 seconds. Fuel pump is energized for 1 second, unless engine is running or cranking. Oxygen sensor heating element is energized.

Reply to
Jeepster

Also do you happen to know the id # for the computer of a 93 jeep 4.0L6 auto my 94 was a typo it is actually a 93 or maybe what all years computers will work on mine

Reply to
Jeepster

That depends on where you bought the vehicle and what production run it was. 93 had several computers. Your fairly much stuck with that year as they made quite a few changes in 94/95.

Go here, enter your vehicle info, then go down Electrical/Powertrain control/Ecm

The part number is on a paper tag on the front of the ecu. Kinda hard to see and sometimes it does fall off. I think the part number is also engraved in the ecu case.

Reply to
DougW

ECM, All Models, 4.0L, Manual Trans, California, w/RFI 1993 $255.00 $198.90 To Determine Early And Late Built Vehicles Check 12th Digit Of The VIN Number. Early Vehicles Have a "1" And Late Vehicles Have a "5" Or Higher Number. Parts And Prices Are For Estimating Purposes Only.

Federal or non Federal. What does that mean, and also does it matter if mine is a late or early vehicle because it is a late with a 12th digit of 5

thanks doug Dan

Reply to
Jeepster

hey man i got codes

12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles 54 No camshaft signal detected during engine cranking. 55 Completion of fault code display on Check Engine lamp.

Do you think that the cam shaft sensor could be the problem being as it is not detected during cranking.

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Jeepster

Yes, that is a problem. My son's van was recently dead with a code 54. It needed a new pickup inside the distributor. I would try cleaning it's electrical connection first though.

Mike

Mike Romain

Ditto. Clean the connector first. Also check to see that the rotor doesn't move side to side or the distributor is full of oil. Since to fix that is most often a new distributor and new distributors come with a new camshaft position sensor.

Not a difficult part to replace but you do have to do some minor surgury.

did finish a webpage, but the idea and pictures are therefor doing the 93ZJ 4.0. Removal and reinstall is the same as a new distributor.

DougW