Stock location of JY Offroad lamps?

Did the YJ come with optional offroad lights on the bumper? Where were they located?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jeepers

The Saharas had some driving/fog lights mounted on the top of the bumper. Not sure where the switch was on the dash, may have been part of the turn signal/wiper/dimmer switch.

Reply to
SoK66

Do you mean the fog lights?

If so, you can get the OEM brackets from your dealer for about $8.

They just bolt right on.

Reply to
Mark12211

Where? Link to pic?

My wife wants some off road lamps on the bumper, she wants 'em "where the stock ones were". I explained it to her, but she wants them "to be in the right place". I explained all I have to do was drill a couple of holes and mount them. She doesn't like that (don't ask, just don't go there). I explained I could tack weld a couple of tabs on from under the top of the bumper, she almost went for it until I said it'll probably have to be repainted from the heat. She likes the windshield mounts but I've had them there and don't like the glare off the hood. These are simple stainless daylighters, but she wants 'em "just so".

Reply to
Jeepers

The best solution is to just go outside and mount them and she'll learn to live with it. Anyways, as for a stock position on YJ's ...what year are we talking here? I would imagine some of the newer (maybe '91-95) might have had an option ...especially the higher end Laredo/Renegade packages, but the older '87-'90 probably wouldn't. I really don't know for sure ...just my guess. I had them at about the same spot on my '88 YJ and on my '85 CJ7 and loved the location:

Looking at the front of the Jeep ...let's say we're talking about the left side now. For the YJ, look at the bottom set of stock rectangular amber lights (turn lamps). Start at about 1" from the far right side of the left lamp and put the left edge of the foglight there. Do the same for the other side. I found this gave the best combined lighting, especially on the highway in fog. I also used them as daylighters for city driving and for city nightdriving. Definitely my favourite spot.

Reply to
griffin

ONE of us will be learning to live with it alright. I don't mess with her "Betty", no sir.

I'll go look tonight. Thanks. We live on a ranch and do a lot of county road driving, especially with these darker afternoons. It's nice to see that deer or black Angus Bull standing in the bar ditch down the road aways. I was thinking close together in the middle. She's probably looking up the option info right now.

Reply to
Jeepers

Not sure if a YJ and XJ have similar bumpers but my XJ had little plastic caps over the factory holes.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

After reading your other posts, it seems to me the issue is, where to drill the holes. My CJ never had factory fog lamps, so I need to drill holes, but the YJs had a factory option for fog lamps, so the holes should already be there somewhere.

If you have two holes that are equidistant from the center and set back from the bumper, or forward from the grill all the same, these are the holes for the fog lamps.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On my CJ7 Laredo, the stock fogs are on top of the bumper straight in front of each wheel. The YJ and TJ ones are in the same place from what I can remember.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

See what they look like at

I used the bumper extensions sold by the Jeep dealer, they are much better material than the ones you find in the catalogs. I also used the fog light brackets sold by the Jeep dealer. I got the fog lights from Wal*Mart but they look factory.

The brackets just get screwed on behind the bumper extensions. If you don't have bumper extensions you will see 2 holes in the middle of your bumper towards the ends on both sides. The fog light brackets are just held on by the wings nuts that hold the bumper extensions on.

Reply to
Mark12211

No holes exist. Thats what I figured there would be, but no. Drilling looks to be the way to go.

Reply to
Jeepers

Ah-HA! Thats what I was looking for. This I can do. Thanks!

Reply to
Jeepers

There is a large plastic cover that covers the frame rails. If you remove this cover, there ought to be holes that can accomodate lamps. That model had a trim level that gave fog lamps, and you can be certain the dealership gorillas are not going to be drilling holes in new Jeeps. At any rate, lamp kits come with brackets and everything that is needed to mount the lamps. You sould simply remove an existing bolt and put it back in with the bracket.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Daylighters are whets going on. The stainless ones. It's her jeep, she wants the bumperettes. If mom is not happy...

Reply to
Jeepers

First wife ...then mom? Interesting family tree you have there. ;p

griffin

Actually I do have an unusual tree. First, my wife is a mom. The mom. Some days she is the mom and some days I'm the dad. Just works that way.

Next, I was adopted and my parents are divorced so: I have a mother, a mom, a step mom, and a mother in law. I have a father, a dad, a step father and a father in law. I have an adopted sister, a half sister (only 13 days younger than me), a step sister, a sister in law and a sister. I have a brother, half brother, gay step brother, brother in law and brother. I have a son, a step daughter and a wife. My geneology has been pushed back to 15th century England with traces of 14th century Itally. I was conceived in Canada and born in El Paso, almost missing the States entirely. I have kin that died in the Alamo, and my son is the 7th generation to grow of on our South Texas cattle ranch. Tree, yup, has a few branches.

My wife's tree, on the other hand, doesn't seem to fork much at all. ;^)

Reply to
Jeepers

I'm more lost than a blind orienteer. All I know is that's a lot of Xmas presents to buy and bdays to remember.

Heh, very punny.

Reply to
griffin

My PDA is real handy for such stuff.