Strange Behavior from 1990 XJ

Group:

I have a 1990 Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 six, auto transmission, 4X4, and 158,000 miles. The Jeep is maintained very well and generally is in good shape. Recently it has developed a new problem. If I am cruising (at 45 MPH for example) down the road with enough accelerator pedal pressure to maintain my desired speed, all is fine. As soon as I lessen the accelerator pressure (just to slow down a couple of MPH), my engine RPM instantly drops way more than normal. I would guess somewhere between 500 - 750 RPM. When this first started happening, I thought the engine was going to die. After the sudden RPM drop, the engine/transmission operates normally. It doesn't matter if I decide to accelerate, slow down more, or come to a complete stop. There are no other symptoms that I can find that may help solve this problem. The vehicle works very well otherwise. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Derek B.

Reply to
Derek Brown

Start with cleaning the connectors on the sensors. TPS, Idle Air, and MAP sensors. And clean the idle air passage on your TB

The diagnostics chart on my site might help, but I'm unfamiliar with this problem.

Reply to
DougW

Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try.

Derek B.

Reply to
Derek Brown

also check your EGR valve and related components. Mine had some debris or carbon in that EGR transducer. later, dave

Reply to
Dave

Sounds like the early stages of throttle position sensor failure. (I'm on my third one)

Doug '92 XJ 163,000

Reply to
<DJR>