strange rattle noise GONE

well, we pulled the timing chain off and it was sloppy as all hell. There are two flanges on the cover, looks like a tensioner goes there maybe, they were almost eaten off! I was HAPPY to see that. So, the noise is gone AND it seems more responsive at higher RPM, is that my imagination?

Also, are the factory chains all cast nylon over aluminum? Just curious.

Thanks for all the input to!

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Arggg! You didn't get one of those stupid plastic gear sets did you? That is some wacky invention of DC's they started using for the YJ as 'planned obsolescence' because the real ones last forever.... The only failed 258 timing sets I have seen were the plastic ones.

The real ones are steel all the way!

There is no tensioner for the 258 timing chain. Oh crap, here we go, one of those so called Jeep 'mechanics' that posts here swears there is a tensioner, he is full of BS as usual.

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

no no, thats what was IN there. I changed it to metal.

I didn't say there was a tensioner, just wondering what the flanges are for.....easy Mike....bring the pulse back down, heheh

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Cool, those plastic ones are crap.

Those flanges are supposed to be the guides for the chain and I guess the strange rattle they make when the chain hits them is the way to tell it's worn out.

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I didn't figure they were really important, I was shocked when I saw the plastic sprocket. It's all good now, Jeeps happy again....gonna need a rad soon, but thats easy.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

I just found out that I snapped my rad in half for the 3rd time when I saw the crack while giving a boost yesterday!

Grr, I snapped one side strap, so bolted it back together and snapped that again so welded a bar on the side in this shape: [

Now the other side is snapped after my camping trip last weekend. Oh well, time for a reinforcing bar on that side too.

My rad is free standing and has lasted 5 years. I need to keep it going for a while longer, then I am going to a 3 core rad.

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Do you think it's worth spending big bucks on an aluminum rad? Mine will survive a while but gonna have to do something.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Well...

I know I am going to have to bracket my rad with 1"x1/8" bar stock to do a preventative frame to hold mine together like [___] so I am staying brass with the steel side straps.

Besides that I really don't like all the corrosion issues with the aluminum where it bolts on or touches any steel.

The brass is likely more forgiving about vibration as well, but that is just a guess.

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain