suzuki sidekick 91- transmition shift points

Hi- I just bought a '91 Suzuki Sidekick at a car auction - great shape, seems (sounds & feels) like it runs great. Here my question... it's an automatic transmition - and is okay until I get >60 mph.... it sounds like it should shift one more time - but does not. The RPms stay between 3500-4000 whenever I'm over 60 MPH - it does not go down?? Should there be one shift - or is this a symptom of this make & model. What can I check??? thanks for your help - Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

First of all, there are folk on this group who sneer at mere Suzukis - after all, it's a Jeep group, not a Suzuki group.

That being said, I'll offer some information. If your 'kick doesn't have overdrive, and I think that vintage doesn't, you will indeed be around

4000 RPM at 60 MPH on factory-size tires. (BTW, thanks to those earlier who posted those handy internet wheel/rpm/speed/etc. calculators)

I'll also refer you to Zukiworld.com, where Tracker/Sidekick owners frequent for news and to share tips. Congrats on the new vehicle, even if it's not a Jeep. ;)

Brian

Hi there Cindy,

You probably won't get too much help in here, this being a Jeep group but you being a girl and with such a pretty name I don't know how the guys could have resisted lol, Anyway my guess is your transmission isn't going into overdrive fourth gear, most Japanese vehicles have an overdrive button on the transmission shifter, this locks the overdrive out so its not kicking in and out driving around town, you probably know this, if so the button or switch may not be working, you will have to take it an auto electrician to look at Have fun with the Suzy Cindy, it ain't a Jeep but I think they are a pretty cool little car see ya Glenn Jeep CJ5 XJ Cherokee

Reply to
Glenn Wainwright

Everything is not always as it seems on the internet...

bllsht

Jeez!! Damn it, bllsht! I'll never forgive you for that one... Now I'll be having nightmares for a week! LOL

Reply to
TJim