89 camry auto tranmission problem PLEASE HELP!!!!

I recently had a 89 Camry le wagon with a 2.0 4cyl, 170k, and I believe the A140E/L transmission given to me. I don't know who the previous owners were. I noticed some markings on the transmission like it had come from a junk yard so it makes me think that the previous owner had probably the same problem and tried to fix it by replacing the tyranny and it didn't fix it so he got rid of the car.

Here's the problem. Under normal acceleration it wont shift until 4000 rpms on all gears and when it does shift it seems too hard. Under hard acceleration it will shift around 3300-3500 rpms and shifts smoother. If I'm Driving in let's say a 35MPH zone here's what happens. It shifts at 4000 rpms for the first time I'm going about 25 mph, and then I will accelerate a little more to get to 35mph @ 2700rpms. If in need to slow down for something like a traffic light take my foot off the gas and apply the brake the rpms go to 1100. The light changes before I stop so maybe I'm going

20mph now and start to accelerate and the rpms will go to 3500 or so before the I can feel acceleration again. Everything else with the car seems great.

I've done some research and I think its it's the Throttle Position Sensor giving me this problem. If it is the TPS would there also be other symptoms, or could the TPS cause just this problem and not cause problems with the other functions it controls, or am I way off on everything. I don't have allot of money so taking it to a transmission mechanic I hope can be avoided.

Thank you.

Reply to
Jackson & Kymm Day

Try checking the TPS with a digital multimeter. It's just a variable resistor. Check to see the resistance increases and decreases smoothly as the throttle opens and closes. The factory manual has the resistance values if you need an absolute value, but check for smoothness in the readings first. If it jumps from zero or infinite, then you've confirmed your suspicions. Can't say I really followed the description of the problem. If the transmission isn't shifting until 4,000 rpm that is a problem. The accelerator needs to be virtually on the floor to hold the gears to 4K rpm when operating correctly.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Daniel M. Dreifus being of bellicose mind posted:

Is the TPS signal utilized by the transmission ECU? BTW, full throttle kickdown upshifts occur closer 5,200 rpm with the 2,000 cc engine ... 5,600 rpm with the 2,500 cc engine.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to