Thought my Rubicon could fly - oops

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Love the screen shot!

I think most of us who off road have been tempted to do that once or even twice...... ;-)

Trick is to goose it hard as you launch so you have maybe half a chance of not nose diving too bad...

Mike

swbell wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Maybe that only works if you are towing an anti-tank gun.

Reply to
BillyRay

I'm not worried about scratching mine either. Destroying the axles, bending the frame, and causing other problems that may total it in one move, that's another.

That being said, I've got plenty of scratches, gouges, dents, and even broke an axle (although not destroying a tube by jumping it...) last weekend.

Really, I just know someone said "hey, hold my beer and watch this!".

;-)

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
FrankW

A bent axle shaft is not the same as a scratch. If you are interested in jumping, more power to you. But before you do much more take a tour of the supermarket magazine rack, and find out what the Baja racers use...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You are quite right. I didn't expect to get that high off the ground. The trail up had two places that required shifting to keep a steady speed. The t-case was in low and trans was in 4th.

It's better to learn from someone near by that knows how much punishment the vehicle can take. Otherwise your lessons will be expensive.

My plan is to get the jeep to an alignment shop to see how bent the axle might be.

in article 1120665178.229eabd9f4987f5dea79593018fad02a@teranews, Earle Horton at snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote on 7/6/05 10:55 AM:

Reply to
swbell

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yep, just shows what inexperience (stupidity) will cost.

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

What was that clacking sound as you left the ground? I've never gotten my jeep airborne, and definately not going to try after see that!

I don't suppose there would be a way to make a jeep able to "safely" jump and land would there?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

As I said before, start at the supermarket magazine rack, and see what the Baja racers do. I would start with bigger tires, longer-travel more compliant suspension, maybe even IFS. A longer wheelbase would be a good idea, to combat the tendency to roll end over end. It might not look like a Jeep when you are done, and your kids might not be able to go to that fancy East Coast college, but you can certainly make a jumper out of almost anything.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The "clacking" sound is the drivetrain not having a load from the tires. There is a good bit of play between the wheels and the transfer case.

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Troy at troy@??. wrote on

7/6/05 3:37 PM:

Reply to
swbell

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Coasty at uscg snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote on 7/6/05 3:08 PM:

I prefer "ignorance". Stupidity would be me spending lots of money and doing the same thing next time I go wheeling :-)

Reply to
swbell

To a certain extent you are correct; a little kid does not know what hot is until they touch it.

I prefer to watch and learn, watch other people screw up and learn not to do what they did. It seems to work, saves money, keeps the wife off my back, sets a good example for the kids, provides a positive roll model for others, and makes me look like I know what I am doing and most of all keeps me on the trails having a good time.

Reply to
Coasty

Damn that's one hell of a jump for a four-wheeler. For a dirt bike that's nothing.

Reply to
Doug

Or a snowmobile it seems. Check out this vid. These guys are nuts.